(My Brothers Bestfriend) Looks Can Be Deceiving 32

Start from the beginning

We follow dad and Jacob down the long hallway that's full of busy workers before they stop to talk to a man. Dad turns to me a smiles. "Alicia, Jason, this is Peter. He'll take you guys from here,"

"Hello," Peter seems to be in his mid-thirties; a tall man with an exotic-shaped moustache. He smiles and extends his hand to me and then to Jason to shake. "I'm the events manager and they'll be ready for you in just under," He checks his schedule and then his watch. "Three minutes,"

"Great," I nod. I'm a little ashamed to say I'm completely distracted by this man's facial hair.

"I'm sorry," Peter laughs. "It was a dare from my wife. I know it's terrible,"

"I love it," I laugh. "It's so well done. I want to meet your wife, she sounds great,"

He chuckles before announcing it's time for my family to move to the sidelines of the stage. He pulls a woman out of nowhere and instructs her to lead them away before turning back to us.

"Now, how are you really feeling?" Peter asks us.

"I'm good," Jase grins. "I'm actually excited,"

I glance sideways at Jason and I don't want to admit that I'm slightly nervous now. He looks down at me and smiles gently, caressing my right cheek. I nuzzle my cheek further into his hold and sigh softly. "What if I mess up?"

"You will be perfect," Jason mollifies me as he tilts my head up so that I'm looking at him. He kisses my forehead. "You always are,"

I have an overwhelming urge to just kiss him but I know that I can't; I blush scarlet and pull away from him. "Thanks Jase,"

"Right," Peter coughs slightly and the blush spreads down to my neck. "It's show time,"

It feels like the world is spinning and everybody around me is going haywire as the backstage crew are hustling and bustling and then before I know it I'm standing beside Jason on the stage.

"Hello everybody," Jason says into his microphone to the screaming crowd.

My eyes scan the concert hall and as I look out at the thousands of people, my consternation seems to dissipate rather than rise. I grin broadly. "My name is Alicia and this is Jason. We'd like to sing a few covers for you,"

"We're new to the music industry and this is our first time performing live for an audience so big," Jason announces loudly to the curious and attentive fans belonging to Karmin. There are a few cheers and the sound reverberates, and excitement envelops me. "We hope you don't mind us stealing Karmin's stage for a little while,"

At the mention of Karmin the noise doubles.

"But we truly hope you enjoy our performance," I smile. "Here we go,"

[ A/N: I haven't had access to a computer in so long so unfortunately I can't direct link you to videos. The only way is if you type it into the bar. So if you'd like to listen to the singers I've chosen to represent Alicia and Jason's voices, here it is: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-IgYmeXxYZ0 ]

Jacob's P.O.V

The background music begins and Alicia's whole demeanour changes; her posture is immaculate and her facial expression is focused.

"Another shot of whiskey please bartender. Keep it coming 'til I don't remember at all," Her voice is as flawless as always and it sends shivers down my spine. The noise of the crowd intensifies immediately. "Turn the music up a little bit louder. Just gotta get past the midnight hour,"

I rough my shoulder into Caleb's and when he looks at me his eyes convey how proud he is of his daughter and his wide grin is infectious. I grin back at my best mate. "Those are our kids,"

"I know," Caleb laughs disbelievingly. He rests his hand on my shoulder and smiles at me. "You changed my life, man. You really did. You gave me your friendship, you gave me your sister, the love of my life, who eventually gave me Alicia,"

I turn toward the stage again and shake my head.

"I had my heart set on you but nothing else hurts like you do," Alicia sings to Jason, her eyes conveying their relation to the song and her compassion for both the words and music creating an absolutely chilling performance to watch. "And I waited and waited so long, for someone who'll never come home. It's my fault to think you'll be true,"

"Yeah," I finally say. "I feel like our friendship has always been one-sided,"

"Shut up," He laughs and shoves me.

"Oh I'd say that I don't care I'd walk away whatever," Jason begins. "And I tell myself that we were bad together,"

Stefanie moves to stand beside me and I wrap my arms around my wife's waist, squeezing her tightly. "That's our boy," I whisper into her ear, nuzzling her neck.

"It is," She agrees, her voice shaky with emotion.

"I couldn't have wished anything more for either of them," Kasey says to all of us, and I smile at my little sister. She shakes her head at me and I know that her words have failed her. Her eyes fill with tears and she takes my hand in hers, licking her lips. "It's simply beautiful to watch,"

Our attention is once again stolen by our children who finally allow their individual talents to collide as they sing together, the result a beautiful harmony.