Chapter 43 ~ The Mask Of Anubis

"Well, well, well. It took you long enough."

Harry stands in the corner of the room leaning against the wall.

"Where's Niall?" I say

"It took you a whole 32 minutes to get here."

"Harry!" Zayn says

"That must be a record."

"Where's Niall, Harry?" 

"Over there." He nods beside him. I jog over to where he nodded. Sure enough, Niall sits tied up in a chair.

"Niall!" I say trying to take off the ropes.

"D-Don't" he mumbles. I look at him. I take a really good look at him. His eyes aren't the blue I'm used to seeing. They're usually such a bright vivid blue. Now they're a dull blue.

"What?" I whisper.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Harry says walking over to us. Liam, Louis and Zayn follow behind.

"I rigged the ropes. If you take the ropes off of him, an alarm will sound, and after that alarm sounds, you have 8 seconds to completely evacuate the building." He says glancing over to the alarm. "Seeing as how that's impossible, after the 8 seconds everything in a 2 mile radius will be disintegrated."

"This isn't you, Harry." Louis says

"Oh, on the contrary. I know what you all are thinking. You're thinking that I'm being possessed or something. Well, to calm your nerves down, I'm not. This is simply just me, getting what I want."

"What do you want, exactly?" I say

"Well, my dear sister. You should already know. But I'll repeat it for you.Every 100 years, an Osirian and Chosen One are born. Most of the time they're related. On very rare occasions, they're not. The Osirian, also known as the protector, is in charge of protecting the Chosen One until it is time for them to sacrifice themselves. They do that by finding the mask of Anubis and putting it on, sending some of the darkness away for another 100 years. But, as a result of putting the mask on, you go with all of the darkness. If you don't put on the mask, darkness will slowly find it's way out and the more that's out, the worse the world becomes. Murder increases. The crime rate increases. Death increases. The bad things will quickly outweigh the good things until one day, everything good disappears. Everything will be evil. Humans will turn on humans. Animals will turn on Animals. And as punishment for letting the darkness get out of hand, The Osirian will die for not doing their job correctly and the Chosen One will face a horrible death for being a coward." Harry says.

"So either way, you're gonna die."

"You're lying. Half of the things that you're saying isn't even true. Oliver didn't say that." I say.

"Where is he to debunk everything that I said?" He says. I say nothing. Because I do not know where he is. 

"So what I want is very simple. I want you to put on the mask. Once you do, Niall will be free and what darkness hasn't already been released will be locked away for yet another 100 years." He says.

There's really nothing to it. Either  way I'm going to die. If I don't do anything, who knows what will happen to Niall or everyone else. Now is the time I have t ask the question that I have been both thinking about and putting off since I found out about my fate. 

Do I become a coward for not sacrificing myself to save millions?

Am I strong enough to let go of everything I have worked hard for?

I don't know.

But I know what's right.

"If I do this, you'll let Niall go?" I say.

"D-Don't do i-it." Niall mumbles. But I have to. You'll die if I don't.

"Yes."

"Let him go first." I say. I need to make sure that he's safe.

"No can do, sis." He responds.

"Harry, I've given up. I tried to stall this as long as I possibly can. I can't do that anymore. It's time to move on. I will do anything you want me to. But only if you let him go." I say. He seems to think on this for quite sometime. I try my best to not look at Niall, Liam, Zayn, or Louis because I know that they are going to convince me not to do this. But I have to.

Finally, He goes over to the alarm and pushes a series of buttons which causes the rope to fall off of Niall. He's so weak that he falls onto me. Zayn quickly hurries over and helps me stand him up. Niall coughs and looks over to me.

"This is the end. There's no going back."

"I know."

"You're risking your life."

"I understand."

"Once it's done, you're dead. We can't bring you back."

"I'm sorry."

"Okay, now that our reunion is over with, can we please continue with the deal?" Harry interrupts. 

"Jessica, I present to you The Mask Of Anubis." He says pulling it out of God knows where and handing it over to me. As soon as my hands connect to the mask, it starts to glow.

"What are you doing?" Someone in the distance calls.

"What we should have done ages ago." Harry says. As soon as the words go into the air, everything begins to shake. It's like a never ending earthquake. "We're sending you back to where you came from."

"How did you figure it out?" The shadow figure slowly comes out of it's hiding spot.

"I had a little help."

It turns around to face me. Sinkara.

"You're basically killing yourself, my dear." She says

"I know." 

"Wow. You've gotten strong." She says looking around. "Oh well. I had fun terrorizing innocent people. I guess it's time to go to my grave for yet another 100 years."

"Yeah. It is." I respond.

"You know, You and I, we could become something. Together. After you put that mask on it's over in this life. Your life will continue in the underworld with me. We could rule it together." 

"No thank you." I say.

"Could you please quit your stalling and put the damn mask on so we can continue with our lives?" Harry says. He's right.

It's time to give up.

I slowly bring the mask to my face. As I do, I look over to Niall. He's begging me not to do it. That we can find another way. Zayn, Louis and Liam are holding him back. But I can't help but notice the gold in his eyes. Maybe it's a reflection. I'll never know. 

My mom always used to tell me that whenever I get scared, I was to close my eyes and count backwards to 5.

5.

When I got to 1, I was to take a deep breath, and breath out.

4.

During that 5 seconds, I had to be brave.

3.

The bravest that I have ever been.

2.

I used to think it was silly, so I ever actually tried it. Until now.

1.