Showdown

- Ripley's POV -

The moment the man and woman entered the room, Jules's entire body went ramrod straight after jerking away from me when they spoke in French.

Had it not been for my fluency in French, I would not have known what they said, but I had. And from what I heard and understood, they were Jules's parents, and they did not seem pleased.

I'm not sure of what that they weren't pleased about, but it didn't matter to me, nor the fact that they were his parents because I was going to protect my Jules no matter what because he was mine, and no one was going to take him from me.

"Jules? Allez-vous dire quelque chose?" His father, a stern-looking man with salt and pepper hair and light brown eyes asked him.
(Are you going to say anything?)

Jules remained frozen for a moment before beginning to attempt to stutter out a sentence, but not accomplishing much. 

"Ah...eh...um, bonjour?"
(hello?)

"Bonjour? Bonjour?! Nous venons juste d'entrer en te voyant embrasser un autre homme et la seule chose que tu peux trouver c'est bonjour?!" His mother, a stunning middle-aged, maybe a bit older woman, with deep chocolate hair and bright, alluring blue-green eyes exclaimed.
(Hello? Hello?! We just walked in seeing you kissing another man and the only thing you can come up with is hello?!)

I watched as Jules seemed to sink back some, and I decided that now would be a good time to step in as I stood up, capturing the attention of both of his parents.

"Bonjour, Monsieur et Madame Laurent. Pour simplifier les choses et éviter de faire durer les choses plus longtemps que nécessaire, je m'appelle Ripley Haze et je suis le petit-ami de votre fils."
(Good afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Laurent. To make things simple, and to keep from drawing things out longer than needed, my name is Ripley Haze, and I am your son's boyfriend.)

The look of surprise on their face was a bit comical, I won't lie. It was obvious that they were not only surprised that I both understood and spoke French but they were also taken aback by my size when compared to their goliath of a son.

"You are French?" His mother asked, switching to English, though her French accent coming through strong in her soft voice.

"My grandparents on my father's side are, yes," I stated, watching her eyes widen even more.

"You spoke English with no accent yet speak as though French is your first language," she said.

"French is my second language which I learned as a very young teenager from my grandparents who preferred their native language instead of English, so I learned, and ultimately perfected the language so that we could communicate easier," I said through a tight-lipped smile, not wanting to linger on the family topic for much longer.

As if sensing my discomfort on the topic, she quickly moved on from my ability to speak French.

"You said you are Jules's boyfriend?" She said, phrasing it as more of a question than a statement.

"I am."

"How long?" Came a gruff voice that I quickly noted to be his father who had spoken for the first time directly to me, also speaking in English now.

"Just over a month now."

His father's head snapped to look at Jules who was still sat on the couch in shock, Bastien sitting alongside him looking more amused than anything.

"Vous avez un petit ami depuis plus d'un mois et vous ne m'avez pas appelé pour me le dire?! Que diable?!" His mother huffed at him, but she wasn't necessarily angry, more upset that he hadn't said anything.
(You've had a boyfriend for more than a month, and you didn't call and tell me?! What the hell?!)