Chapter 1 || Avengers Initiative

Kaden POV

I keep my eyes locked on them, navigating through the panicking civilians and shattering glass. Slowly, I pull the string backwards, lining up the three arrows on my bow. I steady myself, holding my breath as I prepare the shot.

Upon release, in the blink of an eye, the three robbers fall to their knees. It is then I see the police arriving, arresting the wounded thieves.

I notice them observing the arrows, looking outside to find me, but I leave without a trace.

-

"Kade's home!"

And 1...2...3- I hear my door creak open slightly. My ears pick up on the slight sound of footsteps. I track them, deciphering the pattern and direction they're going.

Once I hear the steps speed up I side-step and reach my arm to the side, catching him and flipping him until his back is on my couch, my hand on his chest with a cocky smirk ringing into the air.

"Dammit! Everytime!"

Chuckling, I pat his cheek and walk towards my kitchen, "Better luck next time, Pete."

"How can you always tell? I don't get it..."

The kid pouts from behind me, only leaving me with a knowing smirk on my face. Oh if only he knew.

"It's called listening. Screaming 'Kade's home" hints that I am about to be jumped by a high school boy."

I open my fridge to grab a beer, then pull out the pizza Peter and I ordered last night. Tossing it in the oven for a few minutes, I walk over to the couch where he has already set up the Xbox for us to play Fortnite.

From over my shoulder I can feel the moon staring at us, the stars smiling down from above, only making me return the favor while we battle it out on the screen. I swiftly move to get the pizza out, tossing it on paper plates for us to eat while playing until my door opens up. Without having to look I already know it's May preparing to scold Peter.

"Don't worry May, I'll give him back after this game."

"Kaden, it's a school night and Peter has a test tomorrow."

We win Victory Royale in duos, then I turn to him with a disapproving glare. The kid practically trembles under my gaze before he starts to spit out some random incoherent words.

"English, Kid. English."

"I just haven't seen you all day and when I heard you come home I wanted to play Fortnite and just hangout because honestly being stuck in that apartment all day with May lecturing me on how to talk to girls is getting really tiring and I just wanted to escape for a bit." Finally, he breathes, making me laugh and glance at May who just has a singular eyebrow raised over at us.

"Might want to apologize before she takes away your visiting rights."

"Right. Sorry May."

"Homework. Then bed. Now."

Scurrying to his feet, his waves behind him a goodbye until he's out of our sight, running into his apartment next door. Sighing, I lean back on the couch and sip on my beer, changing the game to the news instead.

"I swear you're a terrible influence on him."

May walks over to me, hand on top of the headrest of my couch, causing me to tilt my head back and look up at her with an innocent smile.

"Whatever could you mean?"

She scoffs, playfully slapping the top of my head while she takes the plates off the coffee table, heading over to my kitchen to toss them. Following her steps, I toss the beer bottle and grab another, not batting an eye at her judgmental look.