Chapter 27

Mrs. Kang was half shocked and half exasperated to realize that Jimin was nowhere in the apartment. It was far too late in the night to still be outside but Mrs. Kang could take a wild guess as to where Jimin had decided to run off to.

She blew out a sigh and resigned to her bed.

Mrs. Kang couldn't blame Jimin for his sudden interest in their neighbor, Y/N. As far as she could see, the girl was quite sweet and even the twins liked her.

Miya and Maya tended to be quite picky with those they allowed to get close to them. It was one of the reasons Mrs. Kang could never hire any babysitters. The first time she hired one, the poor girl had been pepper sprayed before getting bombarded with eggs. (She had given them a proper lecture afterwards but that did not seem to stop them from doing it again.)

In the end, only Jimin could outlast their ridiculous shenanigans. While he was not excluded from being bamboozled like everyone before him, Jimin was the only one who had no trouble in unleashing his anger upon them.

Mrs. Kang had wisely looked away when the twins tried to beg her for help.

You reap what you sow, brats.

Mrs. Kang was quite amazed when all it took for Y/N to get on their good side was to offer them a whole box of white glazed donuts. She was even more amazed when even Jimin began to take interest in their neighbor. Jimin was not stupid. He was reckless.

While she wasn't sure whether it was a fleeting feeling but it was, nonetheless, agony to realize that his newfound affection for the girl ended up making him even more reckless than ever.

In hope of calming down his raging passion, Mrs. Kang sent him on various errands to prevent the two of them from running into each other. It was quite a naive and stupid plan now that she thought about it.

If Jimin truly loved her, how could a little bit of distance and time be of any threat to him?

She had been quite foolish.

Personally, Mrs. Kang did not care about his romantic interest. In fact it was quite amusing to watch his light up at the mere mention of Y/N's name. She may own him legally but she played no part in dictating his life whatsoever.

But it was different now.

Now she did have a problem. She had not planned on ever returning to her line of work but she started this whole thing. She was the one who took him in despite all the odds. She was the one who taught Jimin to kill without mercy. To take out his frustration on others while telling himself that it was all for the sake of protecting the people he loved.

She was the one who manipulated him.

Fuck.

Mrs. Kang knew everything had consequences. Being a well experienced assassin had consequences. Being associated with the mafia had consequences. Adopting a random hybrid child had consequences.

And now she had to pay her due.

She had to face these consequences.

How she would face them was still up for debate but for now, letting sleep take the reins seemed like a good idea.

...

Equipped with a solid cup of black coffee and a just-out-of-the-oven bagel, Mrs. Kang got to work. Pulling a few connections, she had managed to get a brand new laptop at a decent price and was currently setting up the security system.

Age was a pain and while she had accepted that she would forever have grey hair, it was another thing entirely to accept that her memory was not what it used to be. Thankfully, her old clients did not suffer from the same problems and were more than willing to return the favor for all her help in the past.