Chapter 24

Seokjin buried his nose into Y/N's hair as he suddenly remembered the day when he had been hugged.

...

Seokjin had not slept last night. He couldn't. He wanted—no, needed to see the latest results. Maybe it was naive of him to cling onto some invisible belief that Micheal would be just fine; maybe it was stupid to be so hopeful and so damn desperate for a miracle but Seokjin could not help it. This watery hope was the only thing stopping him from tipping over the brink.

But he should have known.

He should have known before the doctor had even opened his mouth. He should have known from the crease between the man's eyebrows and the dense eye bags underneath his eyes.

Seokjin ended up in the cafeteria in an attempt to regain his sense of self. He took one bite from the warm, crispy bagel and winced. Seokjin forced his mouth to chew instead of heaving the only bit of food he had for two days before dropping his head onto the table.

"Excuse me?"

Seokjin's first reaction was to throw the bagel at the random person who had the audacity to talk to him when all he wanted to do was brood and sulk by himself.

Instead he chose to ignore them because he needed to get used to being an adult. He needed to make decisions that wouldn't cause him any trouble. He needed to make responsible decisions.

He needed to get ready for the time when Michael wouldn't be there to scold him for his behavior.

"Are you eating that?" The person (why were they so persistent?) continued.

Without raising his head, Seokjin pushed the half-eaten bagel away from him. He heard the screech of a chair scraping against the floor as it was pulled back. He looked up, frowned and asked "what are you doing?"

"Eating. Clearly." The girl spoke with her mouth full. Either she didn't have manners or she didn't care that he was watching. It was most likely the latter. "I know that, but why are you eating next to me?" Seokjin resisted the urge to groan. He had just wanted some peace and quiet to himself. Was that so much to ask?

"Last time I checked, we are living in a free country which means I can do whatever I want" she announced before continuing to munch on the bagel. "Last time I checked, I didn't come to the hospital to get attitude from a stupid little girl" he shot back.

Ignoring his remark, the girl asked "So why did you come to the hospital?"

She blinked innocently and swung her legs leisurely when Seokjin narrowed his eyes at her. He was certain that she said that on purpose.

"My owne-friend is sick so I came to visit them," he replied curtly. He doubted that she would know anything about hybrid hostility but he did not want to risk it.There was no harm in being a little more cautious after all. Michael already had enough to worry about after all.

The girl hummed before blurting out "are you lonely?"

Seokjin could almost feel the oncoming migraine. "It's not nice to ask strangers that, you know?" He mumbled with a practiced smile.

"Well, I'm pretty lonely. I ran away from those mean nurses who don't know who to talk to me without looking at me with these weird eyes. But then I met you so I'm not so lonely anymore" she licked her fingers clean and giggled "that was delicious! Can you give me more?"