Chapter 20

Seokjin sipped the chilled coffee. He swirled the cool liquid in his mouth and stared up at the sky. Maybe leaving the younger hybrids with Y/N was not exactly the greatest idea but Seokjin needed a little time to himself. A break if you will.

All the tumbling emotions in them were overwhelming and swelling within all of them. All of them... except him. He couldn't get himself to feel like them.

Seokjin licked his lips. He rested his elbows on his thighs, shaking the can in his hand slightly. He did not know what to feel about everyone. As the oldest Seokjin knew he had to be responsible for taking care of them including Y/N but that was all. He felt too detached, too emotionless.

Why am I like this?

"You would have liked tonight's sky, Michael.." he whispered under his breath.

He could almost hear him reply with a snort "I can't enjoy the sky if you're here drowning in self pity. I need a beer to be able to handle your sorry ass". The thought made him smile. Hesitantly, Seokjin's fingers passed over the surface of the wooden bench, searching.

It was empty.

The wooden bench was empty.

He was alone.

At least the thought of his owner didn't make him cry anymore. Sure, the guilt and frustration sometimes built up during the nights when it seemed impossible to forget his scent on the receipts slipped in the middle of certain books but he was fine. He wasn't able to hold off the waves of nostalgia though.

....

"Why is there a leaf in the book for god's sake?" Seokjin mumbled in disbelief. He wiggled the tiny thing and watched it flutter lightly like silk.

"In my defense it's a pretty leaf, ok. Look at the edges!" Micheal protested and then sneakily muttered "I thought you were a good judge of beauty... guess I was wrong" Jin blinked, processed the information, widened his eyes before he cried out "Excuse me but I—" "You're excused." He grinned as his eyes glinted like an imp.

Seokjin didn't know if he should laugh it off or smack him for being so damn cheeky. He instead took a deep breath and said "Good luck reaching for those ginger biscuits." He smiled sweetly.

Michael gaped at him. "But I can't reach for them on my own..?" Seokjin merely raised an eyebrow "that's the point". Michael glared at him for a few seconds before stomping off. He slammed his bedroom door with a thud.

15 minutes later, Seokjin knocked lightly on the door. "Mike?"

"What?"

"I brought snacks."

Silence.

"..come in."

Seokjin grinned victoriously before slowly opening the door. Mikael was facing away from him, sitting cross legged with another book beside him. This time it was the manga volume of 'The Promised Neverland'. "Leave them and go" Seokjin placed the bag of chips and coffee without a word. He then dragged a nearby chair before taking a seat right in front of Michael. He still refused to look back at Jin. "You would make a good Emma" he blurts out.

Michael looked back at him in confusion before his eyes lit up in realization. "Ah.. maybe. If I wasn't such an introvert I might make a good Emma but here I am... avoiding people like the plague. And I can't run even if a thief was behind me" he winced before grabbing the bag and ripping it open with a tug "I'm still mad you know?"