Chapter 35: "My wife."

Start from the beginning

"She's you in girl form, you know that right?" Ava looks up at me with a smile.

"Is not."

"I just saw her pick up a stuffed animal frog and ask your mom 'My pad or yours?'."

I bust out laughing, feeling somewhat proud.

"See." Av laughs along with me. "You, in girl form."

"This one is nice." Mum speaks up as we near her and Gem, pointing at a soft green pram. "What do you think Ava?"

"Is it for here?.. I mean to stay at your house?" Av asks.

"Well I didn't..." Mum smiles, her eyes getting teary. "I didn't think about getting one for here, but that would be nice wouldn't it?"

"Well it would be a pain to travel with a lot of things so often.. So I thought maybe we could get some stuff to keep at yours. For when we visit.. or if you're watching the baby. If you want to.."

"So often? Oh..." Mum pulls Ava into a hug. "I would love that. Should I make a list? I'll make a list. What do you think?"

"Just pick out whatever you want mum." I smile at her as I step behind Ava and wrap my arms around her shoulders and rest my chin on the top of her head. "Maybe we can make Gem's old room into a sort of nursery."

"You're such a wanker." Gem narrows her eyes at my teasing.

Two hours later we're packing my Range Rover with various bags and boxes. When I told my mum to pick out whatever she wanted, I didn't think she'd want everything they had.

"Doing a little shopping Harry?"

I glance over my shoulder, seeing a young man with a camera hung around his neck. I've seen him before. Works for the local paper. He followed me around when I visited the primary school a few months ago.

"A bit Thomas. You alright?" I question, handing Gem a bag so she can take over.

I offer him my hand, which he takes readily before peeking over my shoulder at Ava.

"I'm well, and you?"

"Good." I nod.

"A lot of baby stuff you've got there."

"Appears so." I chomp on my gum, waiting for him to just straight out ask me.

"Someone expecting?"

"Wouldn't make much use of it all if there wasn't." I answer politely, keeping a smile on my face.

I knew he'd catch up to us today. We've been in and out of various stores all day. Seen multiple times.

I would rather not be bothered today, but he's never been rude nor in my face. I knew him before X-Factor, he was in Gem's class at school. Nice fellow, never snapping a picture without asking first.

"So who's pregnant?" Thomas questions hesitantly.

I know he doesn't expect me to tell him shit. I usually don't ever say much to any press. I like things private. Well as private as they can be.

But Ava's bump is fairly apparent, and here we are standing in front of a store with a boot full of baby stuff.

There's only so long you can ignore the questions.

"What was that?" I ask as he shuffles nervously from foot to foot.

"I um... I was just asking who's pregnant."

"My wife." I answer bluntly, a smile overtaking my face as his mouth drops open.

"Wife?" He gulps, knowing I just gave him a huge story.

"My wife." I nod, "Now if you don't mind, would like to take my family out to dinner."

"Sure. Of course. Could I get a quick picture?"

"Would rather not." I shake my head. "Good to see you though."

I offer him my hand again, shaking it before bidding him goodbye.

He's still standing in the same spot when I pull out of the car park, furiously scribbling away on a small notepad.

I chuckle as I pull onto the street. Fuck it felt good to say that.

I reach over the console, grasping Ava's hand as I turn towards the restaurant we agreed on.

I pull it over with mine, resting it on my knee as I notice the frown on Ava's face.

Gem and my mum chatter away in the backseat as I lower my voice. "Everything good?"

She closes her eyes, shaking her head slightly before staring out her window.

Shit.

"Love... What.."

"I can't believe you did that." She whispers.

"What?... I just..." I stumble over my words as she pulls her hand from mine.

"Robin said he got a table already." My mum speaks up as Ava once again looks away from me.

"Great." I rest both hands on the steering wheel, wondering what the fuck I did that was so wrong.

________________
Double update today! Please vote!