17. Taking Control

Joel made his way down the paddock, highfiving everyone he knew. He couldn't wait to get back to work after the summer break but for now he was just grateful to be here supporting the team.

He was looking for Emily. She'd seemed really off all week and he wanted to check she was ok. She hadn't said as much but he suspected she'd had a fallout with Seb because she changed the subject everytime he mentioned the German's name.

He'd meant to speak to her after qualifying the previous day but hadn't had the chance. The race had not long finished so he was hoping to to catch her for five minutes before the debrief.

It hadn't been a great result for the team today. Seb had finished in fourth place and Lance hadn't finished at all after a mistake had sent him into the gravel. He saw Niall and Joe stood out the back of the Aston Martin garage so he headed over. They were bound to know where she was.

"Alright Joel. Good to see you up and about mate," Joe said.

"Cheers Joe. Have you seen Ems anywhere? I need to talk to her."

"Yes, she went into the motorhome. Think she went into one of the meeting rooms, said she had a private call to make."

"Cheers mate, I'll catch you later yeah?"

"You coming to the Golf Club?"

"Yeah I'll be there."

He headed into the motorhome and Kara pointed him in the right direction. He opened the door and slipped in.

Emily was sat on the table staring at her phone and seemed in a world of her own.

"Here you are! I've been looking for you."

She jumped, not hearing him enter the room.

"Joel, can I catch up with you later? I've got an important call to make."

"What's so important?"

"None of your business."

He reached out and grabbed her phone out of her hand.

"Give that back!" she snapped, trying to snatch it back. Joel turned his back on her and looked at her phone screen. There was an email on display.

"Emily, what the fuck? Team Penske? Indy car? You're thinking of leaving?"

"I haven't decided yet. I applied months back, before I made up with Seb. I forgot all about it. Then I got asked to attend a zoom interview. I think it might be a good idea. Seb's not talking to me. Everything is fucked up. Maybe a new start is what I need."

"Why isn't he talking to you?"

"That's not important. Now please, they're calling in 10 minutes. I need to run through what I'm going to say."

"You can't be serious Emily."

"I'm deadly serious Joel."

"You're mad."

"Thanks. Shut the door on your way out."

Joel shook his head in disbelief and left, slamming the door behind him.

***

Joel exited the motorhome. He was angry and upset. He couldn't lose his sister to Indy Car. Why would she want to leave? Was her fight with Seb that serious? Seb, maybe he'd be able to talk some sense into her. He started jogging towards the media pen.

He glanced around trying to find Seb. He spotted the familiar green cap on the far side talking to Natalie Pinkham. He headed round and tried to get Seb's attention.