32. Breaking News

Seb and Antti were jogging around the circuit. It was Wednesday in Mexico and they had gone out training early to avoid the sun.

Seb hadn't wanted to leave Emily. She'd looked so beautiful sleeping. Her pyjama vest had been riding up and her bump on show. It was really starting to show now.

For now she was just wearing baggier shirts but Seb knew that soon people would start guessing.

He was feeling concerned for her as she was only two weeks away from the gestation where she had lost Jacob.

They'd reached halfway around the track when he heard his name being called. He looked towards the stands and saw Scott McDevitt heading over towards him.

"Alright Seb?" he asked.

"Good thanks McDevitt, you?"

"Yeah all good. Mind if I join you? Brandon is driving me nuts." Seb laughed.

"Sure, why not?"

Antti decided he was going to stay and chat to Brandon, Scott's trainer, whilst Seb and Scott carried on around the track, arranging to meet back in the same place.

"I hear congratulations are in order," Scott said as they increased their pace. "I meant to congratulate you both in Austin, but I never got the chance. I am really happy for you."

"Thanks Scott. I'm a lucky man. I've fucked things up more than once but she still married me. Either I'm lucky or she's crazy," he said, laughing.

"You're both lucky. It's not that often people find that kind of love."

They jogged on in silence for several minutes.

"We're having another wedding in June. For family and friends. Be nice if you could come."

"Are you sure? I know we haven't got the best history."

Seb stopped in his tracks. He bent over hands on his knees, panting.

He looked up at Scott, squinting as the sun hit his eyes.

"McDevitt, whatever happened, it's in the past. You and me, we're good. Especially since you helped get rid of Armitage. "

"He's a class A dick. I was glad to see the back of him. I don't know the entire history between him and Emily but I know she loves you, and I just want her to be happy."

"Believe me, it's best you don't know their history."

"He hasn't bothered her since?"

"Don't think he'd dare after the beating I gave him."

"Yeah, probably not. So why June? Why not over winter break or in summer?"

" Well, can I trust you to keep this quiet?"

"Sure man, my lips are sealed."

"We intended it to be our proper wedding. It's on Emily's late mum's birthday. Also winter break was a big no. Let's just say Emily and I have a very important date to look forward to in April. "

Scott looked at him, confused. Then the penny dropped and his mouth fell open.

"She's pregnant?" Seb nodded, proudly. "Congrats mate. That's awesome news." He shook Seb by the hand.

They turned and started jogging again.

Seb felt his phone buzz in his pocket. It was probably Britta getting on at him about an interview he was giving later.

She could wait. They soon completed their lap and headed back to Antti and Brandon.

Seb sank down onto one of the plastic seats. He took a long sip out of his water bottle.