22. Cornwall Part 2

Emily dropped the pregnancy test and sunk to her knees. She didn't know how to feel. She knew she should be happy, she knew she had a right to be scared but she felt empty. She felt Seb at her side, hugging her. She heard his voice speaking reassuring words but had no idea what he actually said.

She was pregnant. She was having a baby. Seb's baby. She suddenly felt guilty. She was having another baby, moving on from Jacob.

Then she felt scared. All her emotions seemed to hit her at once and she started sobbing. She didn't know if she could do this! What if it happened again? What if she lost this baby the way she had lost Jacob?

Seb held her as she sobbed. He felt shell-shocked. He wasn't unhappy about it, he was just worried for Emily. It was the wrong timing. They had only just found each other again and now their relationship was going to come under pressure straight away.

"My darling, it's going to be ok. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere. We will do this together. I love you Emily. And we will love our baby." As he said this he knew it was the truth. He suddenly felt a fierce love for their unborn child.
He or she was part of them already.

"What if it happens again Seb? I don't know if I'm strong enough to get through it again. Losing Jacob nearly killed me."

"Emily, I can't promise you it won't happen again. But what I can promise you is you will not be alone. I'm with you every step of the way. I will do everything in my power to make sure it doesn't happen again. You will have the best doctors, the very best care possible."

He felt her body relax a little, her sobbing easing up.

"Come on, let's get you off this floor. Let's go back to bed. We can just cuddle for a while." She let him help her up and together they headed to the bedroom. She slipped beneath the covers. Seb climbed in next to her. She snuggled up to him, her head resting on his chest.

"I don't get how it happened. I never missed a pill. I wasn't on antibiotics that could have affected it."

"Sometimes these things just happen."

"You must have super swimmers!" she said, giving a small, wry laugh.

"Emily, I know this is hard for you. I can't imagine the emotions this is stirring up. Please, if you ever need to talk, just talk. Don't bottle it up. I know what you're like."

"I know Seb, I'm just trying to come to terms with this. I don't feel pregnant. By this stage with Jacob I was sick, and my boobs hurt. I have no symptoms whatsoever."

"No two pregnancies are the same. Carla was sick as anything with Leah, but she had nothing with Klara. Maybe to ease your mind you should go see your doctor as soon as possible."

Emily sat up. She leant down and kissed Seb hard on the mouth.

"Make love to me Seb."

"As much as I would love to do that, are you sure that's what you need right now?"

She didn't answer him. She kissed his neck, running her hands over his chest.

"Seriously Emily. I don't think this is the right time."

Emily rolled over and got out of bed.

"I get it, you've stopped wanting me already. What are you going to feel like when I'm fat and ugly?"

She stormed out of the room and down the stairs. He chased after her.

"Emily, of course I want you. I always want you. I just think that you're in shock and you're upset. I don't want to take advantage of you. And you will never be fat and ugly. You will be beautiful, as much as, if not more than ever. Come here."