7. The Barbecue

A/N Smut warning

There was a three week gap between Imola and Barcelona. The first week had passed without anything really happening. Emily had spent most of it redecorating her lounge. She found that keeping busy kept her mind of a certain blonde German.

Her plan of forgetting him by having sex with Scott hadn't come to fruition.  She'd chickened out at the last minute. She felt gutted about Seb leaving with that blonde but in the end she just couldn't do it.

Scott had been very understanding. He'd passed her her bathrobe and replaced his clothes before cuddling up with her on the bed. They'd both fallen asleep together.  It had been a little awkward in the morning  when they woken but they'd soon returned to their friendly, flirty behaviour.

She couldn't get the thought of Seb with that woman out of her head. She kept telling herself that he was free and single and could do whatever he pleased. She'd made her choice and she had to live with it.

She'd also spent some time looking at jobs in the States in various racing categories.   There wasn't much available. Then she spotted one that would fit well. Assistant strategist in Indy Car for Team Penske. She compiled a cover email and sent it off with her C.V.   She'd probably not even hear back but she'd never know unless she tried. She didn't know how much longer she could keep working alongside Seb. It was pure torture.

                            ***

It was now a week until the Spanish Grand Prix.   Another three days and she'd be flying out with the rest of the team. It was a very sunny day. The following day was a Bank Holiday so in his tradition Joel had decided to throw a barbecue. He'd texted her that morning telling her to get her butt there and bring plenty of booze.

So she found herself in the local supermarket pushing a trolley laden with cans of beer, cider, a bottle of vodka, bottle of bacardi, plenty of lemonade and coke.  She chucked in several bags of ice, knowing Joel would have forgotten like usual.

After she'd paid, she loaded it into the boot of her car and got in. 

She made the short drive over to the house that Joel shared with Harry. She spotted a few familiar cars parked outside. Niall was here, as was Demi and Kara. She grabbed a couple of bags and headed towards the house. She'd send Joel out to get the rest.

She opened the side gate and headed round the back where she could hear the music blasting out. 

"Hey, here she is! " called out Harry as he spotted her.

"We were just wondering where you'd got to," Joel told her.

"Well I had to go buy the booze. Here, go and get it out of the car," she said, handing her car key over to her brother.

"Hey Ems," Kara called out from the patio. "What you drinking? Are you staying over or getting a taxi back?"

"Staying, usually do anyway. That sofa has my name on it.  Any Smirnoff Ices?" she laughed.

Niall handed her a cold Smirnoff ice out of the ice bucket. She picked up the bottle opener off of the table and opened it.  She took a long swig out of it.

"You can't beat a nice cold one of these in the sun, " she declared.

She heard a movement behind her and turned, expecting  to see Joel returning with the drinks.

She nearly choked on her drink when she saw Seb leaning on the wall behind her.

"Hello Emily," he said.

                        ***
He leant against the wall watching her. She had no idea that he was there. He looked at her long tanned legs, clad in such short shorts.