38. If It's Meant To Be, It Will Be

Seb's heart sank. It wasn't to be. Pole position was so important around Yas Marina. He didn't know if he wanted to know where he'd be starting.

"I'm sorry mate," Joe repeated. "I'm sorry for all your rivals because you are on Pole Position!!!"

"Woooohoooo, ring a ding ding! Yesssss boys!" Seb shouted.

"Bring her back safe hotshot. See you soon," Emily said in his ear.

He grinned the rest of his way back to pitlane. First job done. Now to win the race. What Max, Charles and Lewis did was out of his hands. He just had to concentrate on doing what he needed to do. The rest was up to fate.

***

It was Sunday. Two hours until lights out. Seb sat in his room alone. He had his head in his hands and he was shaking. All he could think about was Ferrari. How he'd failed. He'd failed again. Once more he'd been in a good position, only to lose out at the end. He may win the race but Max only needed the one point to become a double world champion. And even if Max didn't score points Lewis and Charles were still more likely to win than he was.

He shut his eyes, squeezing his eyelids tightly together to stop the tears from falling. He saw Chris in his mind, bringing that iron bar down on him. Scott lying in a pool of blood. Emily laying on that hospital bed.

Then he heard Binotto's voice. "You're not the driver you once were."

"Shut up!" Seb screamed, jumping up and pulling at his hair. There was a knock at the door.

"Seb, let me in." It was Emily. He unlocked the door and walked away to the far corner of the room. "Seb, darling what's wrong?" she asked, sensing the tension in his body language.

"You were right. I wasn't ready. I should have just let Nyck drive. I just...I just wanted to prove my worth."

"Seb, you've ready done that. You are amazing. The whole team think that. The things you've accomplished. And it's not your fault you had to miss a race!"

"But I've failed Emily. Again. No one remembers the guy that finished second and I'll be lucky to even finish third." Emily went to him and took his hands in hers.

"Sebastian Vettel, look at me. Don't you dare talk like that. You are not a failure. You are a 4 time world champion. You are a fighter. You do not give up. I believe in you. You need to believe in yourself. I will be with you every step of the way. And so will junior. We are proud of you whatever. Seb, I love you. So, you can't win the title, win the race. Shown them that Vettel spirit. Then next season you will be back, stronger than ever. You will be the champion again. I truly believe that."

"I keep hearing Binotto in my head. Telling me I'm not the driver I was."

"No, you're not. You're better. You're better because you're surrounded by a team that love you. You are cherished here. You're not just a driver. You are one of us. That is why I believe. When we all pull together, how can we fail?"

Seb pulled her into his arms, kissing her hair.

"I am so lucky. How did I manage to get a wife like you? Clever as well as beautiful." Suddenly Emily jumped and pulled away, gasping.

"Baby, what's wrong? Is it the baby?" he asked, seeing her drop her hand to her bump.

She looked up at him, amazement in her eyes.

"He moved Seb, I felt him move!"

"She did? Oh my." A big grin spread across Seb's face. This was a sign. His baby was telling him to stop feeling sorry for himself and go out there and win this race.