37. All But Over

Seb and Emily checked into their hotel in Abu Dhabi. Just over three weeks had passed since the events of Brazil. Seb had recovered well, although he was still in pain with his ribs and shoulder. His leg wasn't bothering him too much and his headaches had now stopped.

Emily was fully recovered from her water infection. She was now over 19 weeks pregnant, further than she'd made it with Jacob, and was beginning to relax a bit.

She was waiting for the press to catch on. There was no way of hiding her pregnancy anymore so she'd stopped trying to. Next time she stepped out of the hotel room everyone was going to see that there was a baby Vettel on the way.

It would give the press something else to write about. They had three weeks of the Brazil drama. How Chris Armitage had flipped and nearly killed Seb and Scott. Talia's confession that she had lied. Joel's heroics.

Scott. Emily smiled as she thought about the charismatic Canadian. Despite the grim forecast he had rallied and survived. He had zoom called them a couple of times. He was still in the hospital but was expecting to be released in the very near future. It was doubtful that he would race in 2023 but he was hopeful he would get back on the grid again the year after.

Emily stood out on the balcony looking down at the racetrack outside. Seb came up behind her and slipped his arms around her waist, nuzzling her neck.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?"she asked.

"The doctor has given me the all clear baby, I'm OK."

"I didn't mean physically Seb. You went through a lot. Nyck could have driven again."

"Emily, you need to understand. I know my chance has all but gone. Max only needs 1 point, whereas I need to win and hope other results go my way. But I need to know I did everything I could. I need to go down fighting. And I can still help the team win the constructors."

He returned to kissing her neck.

"I want to make love to you so damn much. It's been weeks. Far too long."

"Soon my love. I'm not having you hurt yourself by exerting yourself before the race. Besides, we've still been enjoying each other, just without the sex."

Seb felt himself harden as he remembered last night at home. How he'd made her come with just two fingers and his tongue. On how she'd made him come with that wicked mouth of hers.

"Seb, I think you need a cold shower," Emily laughed, feeling his erection digging into her behind.

He laughed. "You have that affect on me. "

"As you do me. Now come on. Let's order some food. Junior is hungry."

"Well we can't be having that, can we?" He turned, taking her hand and leading her inside.

***

"Are you ready for this?" Seb asked, as they rode down in the elevator, on their way to media day.

Emily laughed nervously.

"I don't know what they'll all be looking at most. My bump or you, trying to spot where you're injured."

He took her hand. The elevator doors opened and they walked out. At first no-one seemed to notice them, but as they neared the door Seb heard his name being called.

"Seb, so good to see you back mate." Seb stopped and grinned.

"Pierre, how are you?"

"I'm good. How are you doing? And oh my God, Emily, I see congratulations are in order."

"I am well thanks Pierre. On the mend. And yes, we are having a baby, due the end of April."

Pierre beamed at Seb and Emily.

"Oh I am so happy for you both. I have to go now but hopefully get to catch up soon. Congratulations again."

"And so it begins..." said Emily.

***

"OK, so they're on their way. Britta messaged and they just left the hotel. Everyone get ready," Joel said to the whole team, who were crammed into hospitality, awaiting the arrival of Seb and Emily.

A few minutes later the door opened and Seb walked in , with Emily just behind him. Everyone started applauding. Seb stopped in his tracks and grinned at his team. He put his hand up in greeting.

It was then that everyone noticed Emily.

"Jesus Christ girl, either you've got bloody fat or congratulations are in order," shouted Joe.

Seb and Emily laughed.

"Yes, it's official. Baby Vettel is coming April 2023," Seb announced.

A resounding cheer went around the room.

"Is that a result of that animal sex?" Niall shouted out. Emily and Seb went bright red.

"Oh we still haven't forgotten that!" Joe laughed.

"Please don't, I can bare thinking about it," grimaced Joel.

"Typical you Sebastian," said Lance. "We turn up here to surprise you and you end up surprising us. Congratulations guys, so happy for you." Lance hugged Seb. Seb grimaced. "Oh sorry, I forgot your ribs."

"That's OK, they're improving every day."

"OK guys, lots to get through. Let's get moving!" shouted Otmar, and everybody filed out to go about their business.

***

Seb pulled out of the garage. This was it. The final run of Q3. The last qualifying of 2022. Time to hit the headlines for something different than getting married, getting beaten up, allegedly cheating and expecting a baby. The press had soon caught wind of Emily's pregnancy.

It was all anyone was talking about in the paddock. It didn't matter that there was one of the closest championships in recent times to be decided. Baby Vettel was the hot topic.

"OK champ, good luck. This is it, get that pole," Joe said in his ear.

He completed his out lap and crossed the line, giving it his all. He hit all his apexes perfectly. He knew it was a good lap, but was it a great lap? Max was on provisional pole. This was his last shot. The chequered flag was out. Last push. He rounded the final corner and powered across the line.

"Joe, break it to me. How did we do?" Seb said, desperate to hear some good news. There was silence. Then a crackle.

"Mate, I'm so sorry..."