3. Aussie Rules

"He's watching you again," Kara whispered in Emily's ear as they sat drinking their morning coffee.  

It was Friday in Melbourne and they were enjoying the last few minutes of peace before everything kicked off.

Emily chewed on her bottom lip. She knew full well that Seb was watching her. It was as if her senses were tuned into him. He was sat a couple of tables behind her with Antti, Britta and Joe.

"I wish he'd just fucking pack it in," she grumbled under her breath.   He hadn't spoken to her, apart from work reasons, since Barcelona, but wherever she went he was there and he seemed to permanently have his beautiful blue eyes fixed on her. It was making her feel uncomfortable.

"He still loves you," Kara stated.

"He never loved me in the first place,"Emily retorted.

"Is thet what you honestly believe?"

"Kara, if he had loved me he wouldn't have left me. He wouldn't have told me he was using me. I trusted him, I told him about Chris, and about Jacob. I was a fool.  Never again. Sebastian Vettel is not getting into my heart, my head or my knickers ever again."

Kara smiled to herself. She knew a load of bullshit when she heard it. Seb was still in Emily's heart and head. He'd never left. The knickers bit, well, time would tell.

"He's coming over," Kara hissed, noticing Seb standing up and heading their way. Emily went to stand up and make a swift exit but it was too late.

"Good morning ladies. Kara could I have a private word with Emily please?"

"Whatever you have to say you can say in front of Kara," Emily snapped. "And make it quick, I have to go."

Kara felt awkward. She really didn't fancy being present for this conversation. So she decided to make herself scarce.

"Oh look, there's Demi, I wanted to see her about something," Kara said, quickly rising and disappearing across the other side of the room.  Emily was fuming. How could Kara abandon her like this?

Seb slid into the seat that Kara had vacated.  He sat staring at Emily intently.

"What?" she finally snapped, her patience running out.

"Emily, please. It doesn't have to be like this. If you'd just hear me out."

"Yes Seb, it does have to be like this. You're nothing but a liar. You got what you wanted. Then you ditched me. I'm past caring now. I'm worth more than that. So if this isn't about work then just leave me alone. I don't want to talk to you."

"Emily, please, you have to believe me. I'm sorry. Ididn't  mean it.  I was just angry, and stupid.  I want you back. I need you."

"Never. You know, if you didn't mean it, that actually makes it worse. That you could say those things to someone you supposedly love."

"And I regret it. I miss you. Look me in the eye Emily, look at me. Then tell me you don't miss me, that you don't love me. If you can do that I will walk away."

Emily looked him straight in the eye. She opened her mouth but nothing came out.

"See, you can't do it," he said, cockily. "You do still love me."

"So maybe I do, but that will fade. I'm moving on Seb. We are done."

"Yet you stayed as my strategist."

"I love the job. We are a good team. But that is all. And if you  want to keep me as your strategist  then stick to the rules. Work talk only. No contact otherwise.  No touching me. And stop fucking staring at me all the time. It makes me feel uncomfortable."

"I still want you back. We belong together Emily. You know it as well as I do. "

"No. You ruined that. Move on Seb.  I am."  She stood up and headed towards the door, leaving him sat alone.

                         ***
Emily decided to avoid hospitality for the rest of the day. At lunch she quickly picked up a pack of sandwiches, an apple and a drink before sitting outside in the sunshine.  There were loads of people around in case he tried to talk to her again.

She sat under a tree in the shade and tucked into her sandwich.  Then all of a sudden a football came flying towards her knocking her sandwich out of her hand.

"What the hell..." 

"I am so sorry.  I'll get you another sandwich, what would you like?  You're not hurt are you?" 

Emily looked up to see the Canadian driver, Scott McDevitt, jogging over to her.

"It's OK," she laughed.  "I'd nearly finished anyway. And between you and me, it was crap anyway."

"Still, I'm really sorry. I was having a kick around with Marcus and I kicked it all wrong."

"Honestly, it's OK."

He dropped down to the grass and sar cross legged next to her.

"I'm Scott," he said, holding his hand out.

She took his hand and shook it. 

"Emily."

"Hi Emily," he said, smiling brightly at her. "So what do you do at Aston Martin?"

"I'm Seb's strategist."

"Wow, I wish I had a strategist that looked like you. I'm stuck with one that doesn't even seem to want to be here, I think he used to work for Aston Martin."

"Not Connor Blake?"she asked, incredulously. He nodded.

"That's the one."

"I didn't realise he was back. Just don't mention me to him. I don't think I'm his favourite person. I got given his job, and he didn't even like me before that. "  Scott laughed, his green eyes twinkling.

"Can I swap you for him?"he grinned, winking at her.

Was he flirting? Emily didn't know how to feel about that.  He was a very attractive man. If she'd been looking for a man she'd have definitely been interested but men were way down on her list of priorities at the moment.  Besides she was still rather hung up on  a blonde, blue eyed German.

Scott ran a hand through his dark blonde hair.

"I don't mean to be rude but you and Seb, weren't you a thing?"

Emily sighed. She didn't want to talk about her failed relationship, even if Scott did seem very nice.

"Yes," she said finally.  "We were, now we're not. Let's leave it at that."

"I just want to make sure I'm not treading on anyone's toes," he said, giving her another cheeky grin.  She couldn't help but laugh.

"No, me and Seb are definitely done."

"Good," Scott mumbled under his breath.  "Anyway I've got to crack on. I'll see you around?"

"Sure. Good luck, not too much though. Slower than Seb and Lance OK?"

"I race to win sweetheart," he drawled, before heading back towards the Brooke garage.