Chapter five: The ball

Two days later

Two days later

I couldn't stop thinking about Liam. At least I listened to him. I didn't think of Silas. Not once. But Liam's presence in my head wasn't anything better. During these past two days, I saw him only during lunch or dinner. I didn't even look at him, although Margo saw him eyeing me each moment we were near.

I was a very stubborn person and when I made my mind up, I didn't get side-tracked. However, Liam... was exactly what was ruining my plans. I couldn't help but feel something. I could smack my head if it would help. I just feel calm around him. Sure, he's a pain in the ass sometimes, but I think I liked him. Nevertheless, there was no way in hell I'd ever tell him that. I was only helping him because it would give me his properties. That's all.

Liam and I can't happen. It would be wrong. Besides, I don't think we'd last due to our families. However, in order to get rid of my feelings towards him, I was avoiding him. I didn't know how well that would turn out today at the ball, but all I could do was try.

I was ready to go just like Margo. I wore a stunning silk, dark red gown, with off the shoulder straps and a high slit. I had black Louboutin heels on, I straightened my hair and pushed it back so it covered my back. My lips were dark red to match the dress, I wore my gold necklace with a small angel charm on my neck, which I never took off, and in my hand, I had a black clutch purse.

Margo had a black suit on and black heels. Her dark hair was curled and put up to a high ponytail. She looked gorgeous as always but especially right now.

We left my bedroom and headed downstairs. I noticed Liam with his relatives and my family. Everyone looked at us as we went down. Liam didn't turn to look at me and began to fix his jacket.

When I got off the stairs, my mother approached me.

"Sei stupenda, tesoro." [You look stunning, sweetheart.] I smiled at her and noticed Liam's eyes on me. He looked angry and I couldn't say that I didn't like it. I looked away as all I could think about was how handsome he looked in his black suit. I wanted him to ignore me, but deep down inside, I wanted him to give me his attention.

Feelings were a strange phenomenon.

"So, we all know what to do, the Martinelli will arrive first and then us. Any last questions?" Luciana spoke. "No? Okay, let's go."

We got outside and my brother Giorgio helped me get down the front stairs. We got into the car and drove off. The Martinelli took two vehicles like us. I shared the car with Margo, Luciana and my brother Aldo. The drive was a bit long but as always, it took place in Rome. Some might call it the centre of the underworld since we ruled it.

We got a message that the Martinelli arrived safely as we stopped at the venue.

All of us had some kind of weapon with us just in case. I had two sets of knives. One set on my right leg was covered with the fabric of my dress and the other was on my right thigh. Others brought knives, daggers or poison like Margo, who decided to go the extra mile.