"Why?"

"She said she had work to do."

"And did she?" I ask, pondering if there was another reason for her decision to stay at home.

"Most likely," Ava replies, concern etching her features. She grabs her bag and retrieves her keys. "Erin, I'm worried about her. She's either working, running, or scribbling in her little red book. She doesn't go into town unless we drag her, and the only time she willingly left the confines of the Spur was when we went to the city to collect my things."

"Is the pack still being jerks to her?"

"Actually, no, for most of them, they seem remorseful. I think with everything that went down and Griffin and I... rescinding her claim with..."

"Fido," I finish, causing her to laugh.

"With Liam," she grins, exiting the cabin, "I think they are looking at her in a new light."

Turning to follow, I wrap myself in a black cashmere coat and join her on the porch, huffing when I step outside. "So, now that Fido is no longer tied to Isla, she's no longer a threat to their precious pack?" I mutter.

Sighing and heading towards her car, she turns before she opens the driver's side door. "Maybe, I don't know, but I will say one thing," she continues, watching me lock the cabin and walk towards her. "The only time I have seen Isla remotely animated was when she asked to go back to the city with you."

Climbing into her Ford Edge, I consider her words. "Why do you think that is?"

"No clue," Ava says, sitting and starting the engine, her brow furrowed. "Maybe some time away from this place, and the people in it, will be just what Isla needs. Time away from the past and all that."

My heart clenches at her words, and I nod. Leaning back into the soft leather of her seats, I watch the scenery pass around me as the vehicle begins its descent down the Spur.

"Erin," Ava starts, her voice hesitant, and I immediately tense at what is to come.

"Mmmm."

"There's something I've been meaning to ask you. Something both Griffin and I have been wanting to know but haven't known how to ask."

"You want me to be Godmother to your spawn?" I joke.

"Well, yes, but..."

I squeal, causing Ava to jump slightly in her seat, swerving the car at the sudden noise. "Damn it, Erin, don't do that."

"Don't Erin me, I'm totally down for that... Do you want me to be there at the birth?"

"We'll get to that, but that's not what I wanted to ask." Ava stonewalls, forcing me back to the original topic, one that I'm yet to know, but am preparing that it's going to be shit. "Erin, when I was mind-linked with Griffin, I saw something, something about Ciara, about you."

Shivering, I clench my fingers and wait for her to continue. Taking a deep breath and biting her bottom lip, she exhales through her delicate nose, "did someone, Erin, did someone buy you?"

FUDGE, MOTHERFREAKING FUDGE...

Closing my eyes and squeezing my fingers tighter, I begin the traditional countdown backward from 10, 9, 8, 7, "Erin?" Ava prods, her voice gentle and warm. 6, 5, 4, 3, "you can tell me," 2, 1, "please."

As I open my eyes, I blink several times, steeling myself before responding, "Something along those lines."

"Babe," Ava's voice, filled with sympathy, soothes. Offering her a broken smile, I continue to blink, my eyes stinging as she begins talking to herself, "It makes sense, all those phone calls, business trips, meetings. Shit, Erin, do I know him? Is he someone from our business contacts?"