EQUAL OPPORTUNITY

Start from the beginning

Looking between the pair, I notice that my mouth is wide open, half from shock and the other half in an attempt to stop myself from laughing.

Griffin takes Ava's hand and pulls her in close, kissing her head, a purring or maybe a deep rumbling sound coming from his chest as he nuzzles her. "I know, Doe, I know, shhhhhh," he coos, and I can see her body relaxing into his hold.

"People already think I'm a snowflake, passing out when things get too much. It's not my fault," Ava grumbles into his chest.

"No, Doe, not your fault. My Light. All she-wolves go through what you have, and losing energy and passing out is common. You're strong," Griffin reassures her, using one of his hands to lift her chin so that he can lean down and kiss her.

"Great, now we'll never eat," Shay groans, entering the kitchen, then adds, turning to me, his muscled arms crossing over his even more enormous biceps. "If they start kissing now, it will lead to sex, and the Boss won't let Bambie go for at least 2 to 4 hours if that happens."

A giggle slips from Ava as she breaks the kiss, a sheepish look on her face as she steps back. "Excellent timing, Shay. If you're so hungry, you can help Griffin place everything on the table while I REST!" She finishes, drawing out the last word with emphasis.

Groaning again, Shay stomps toward Griffin, while Ava takes my hand and leads me to a large wooden dining table positioned off the side of the kitchen, overlooking the lush vegetation outside.

"Remind me when I lost my balls and gained ovaries? Me and my stupid big mouth," Shay grumbles as he takes two large trays from the countertop.

"Maybe they're just preparing you for adulthood," Morgan smirks, joining us as we take our seats, with Isla already positioned in the chair beside mine.

"Why does Isla get out of it?" Shay whines, placing the trays filled with meats and vegetables onto the table before returning to the kitchen.

"Because Isla was working," Griffin replies, holding several small dishes of bread, sauces, and other condiments.

"This equal opportunity lifestyle you guys are living is shit," Shay huffs, placing the final dish on the table before taking his seat.

"Well, you could always move back into the RANCH if you miss that lifestyle so much," Ava retorts, starting to load her plate with so much food I'm surprised she's the same size, minus the bump, as when I last saw her.

Visibly paling at her comment, Shay dips his head. "I'll be good."

"Excellent, with that sorted, maybe we can have a pleasant meal," Ava adds, lifting her knife and fork.

The food is absolutely amazing. Ava told me that both Isla and Griffin were good cooks, but damn, this is better than some of the meals served at Alexei's 5-star restaurants. The conversation whilst we eat is light, upbeat, and a little antagonistic, with banter between everyone, almost like we are a family. The only one who remains quiet is Isla, but that's not unusual.

I managed to learn that Morgan is part of a small coven living on the other side of the Spur, and her family has been working with the Black Wolf pack for several decades. Her mother was also exceptionally gifted in mind arts. She performed the original blocking spell on Ava several years ago when her family, Griffin, and the pack decided it best to keep her connection with Griffin a secret until she was of age.

Her gift or talent, as tradition states, has been passed onto her only daughter, Morgan. From all accounts, she seems to have a close relationship with this little group of, whatever they are. Morgan, to her credit, also appears to have a similar dislike for some of the women of the Ranch. So, immediately, she's someone I like.