Chapter 17 - Sick

Bad words were the only words that I managed to say when I woke up this morning with a throbbing head, clogged nose and throat that hurts like hell like someone had slashed my throat using a knife.

Nagkasakit na ata ako sa sobrang puyat ko nitong mga nakaraang araw kakaisip ng kung anu anong bagay. I hate being sick and not being able to do anything productive at all though there is one thing that I really like about being sick, it’s that I can stay home and not go to school.

I searched for my phone that is somewhere underneath the comforter and texted Alex.

Me:
I’m sick. Can’t go to school :(

Alex:
Get well soon Ming Ming!

After that I rolled over to the other side of the bed hoping that I can get well by doing this.

I don’t know how many hours passed by pero nagising ako sa sunod sunod na doorbell. Hindi ko na sana papansinin since I’m too lazy pero hindi ako sigurado kung sino ‘yun dahil may mga susi sila Alex sa bahay ko.

What I’m not expecting when I opened the door was a man standing behind that door with a smug look.

“Why are you here?” I asked Travis. That was supposed to be as arrogant as him but it turns out to be unconvincing because of my bagong gising and sick voice.

Bakit ba kasi siya nagpunta dito? After the party, ginawa ko ang lahat makaiwas lang sa kanya kasi nakakahiya mga pinagsasabi ko.

“What do you think? Alex asked me to give this to you.” Then he handed me the plastic that he’s holding.

Oh, so pumunta lang siya kasi magaabot siya ng gamot. Akala ko pa naman concern siya sa akin.

“Why didn’t you tell me that you’re sick?” He frowned.

“I’m not aware that I need to report everything to you, Travis.”

“So you need to report to Alex and not to me. I see.” He trailed.

I rolled my eyes at his remark. I think I’m getting another headache because of him. "Pwede ka nang umalis since nabigay mo na ‘yung gamot."

I don’t care if my words came out to be harsh. I just hate that he saw me in this state. Sick, pale chappy lips, messy hair and red runny nose.

“No. I’ll stay with you.” Then tumungo siya ng kitchen and I saw him frowned. “Hindi ka kumain?”

“Wala akong gana tsaka kakagising ko lang.” I said while sniffing.

Another frown formed his face when he opened the ref. “Wala rin laman ang ref mo? Anong kinakain mo dito?”

Ngumiwi ako sa lakas ng boses niya as he scolded me. He sound like my Dad there.

“Wag ka ngang sumigaw. Hindi ko kasalanan na may sakit ako.” I said as I followed him. “Wow I feel so much better sa pagsigaw mo.”

He ignored me while he is opening the cupboards one by one. Nilabas niya doon ang isang soup in can. “You need to eat para makainom ka ng gamot.”

He would cook for me? That’s new. I want to see him cook but he told me to wait in the living room. Kaysa makipagtalo pa ako ay tumungo nalang ako sa sala at naghanap ng mga movies.

He watched as I ate the soup he made. Kung hindi ko nakitang canned soup ito ay aakalain kong niluto niya talaga ‘to. Not biased but this is the tastiest canned soup I’ve ever eaten.

“This is good. You can be a chef someday.”

I was expecting na magyayabang siya pero tinawanan lang niya ako and said. “Next time I’ll make you real food.”