139

My morning starts with a karate student who dislocated his shoulder through triage.

"We have an anterior shoulder dislocation here who is losing his pulse and sensation in the affected arm," I call over my shoulder.

"I'll help with reduction," Em mutters, setting his clipboard aside and joining me.

"Should we do a nerve block or just pop it back," I mull aloud.

"It would be too painful," Emery mutters. "Nerve block."

"Bupivocaine, or-"

"Yeah. Lidocaine wouldn't be enough."

We numb the area and reduce it, then set to work.

"Did you notice Aly's hand?" Emery hums as we work.

"Ask me if I even notice when she walks into a room," I mutter.

"She's not wearing that ring anymore," he supplies.

"Have you two..." I lift my eyes, brows quirked in question.

"Not yet," he smiles, eyes twinkling. "But someday soon."

When he leaves, Madeline shoves me aside to fetch something out of a drawer.

"Just tell him you love him already," she mutters absently, taking the wrapping off something.

"I do, all the time." I turn around, miffed. "It's how we end our calls."

Madeline stills her hands, turning to face me with a deadpan expression.

"Turn your medical license in, Brandon," she snaps before leaving the room.