114

I was matched with an available residency at MountainView in Vegas through the resident matching program. You get what you get and you don't get upset with this program, but I am crushed that Emery and I got placements in different states. We celebrate our success over a starlit dinner in a night out with friends and family.

The restaurant features live music and an outdoor dance floor. Emery and Aly dance just a few feet away from me, Emery glancing periodically at me and grinning, making me laugh.

"You need to let that boy go," my mom badgers when she comes to stand beside me. "Let him discover himself outside your shadow, live his own life. It'd do him good to get away from you for a while." I ignore her in favour of smiling at Emery.

"No matter where he goes, he'll always be mine," I reply at length.

We're all jovial and congratulatory towards each other in the presence of our loved ones. But, come nightfall, the realization sets in and we find ourselves embracing fiercely, bodies plastered together, the miserable prospect of being apart for four years too agonizing to bear. Arms wrapped around each other's necks and backs and shoulders, fingers digging brutally into muscle, hands gripping each other's faces and our foreheads plastered together, we lay entwined all night.