𝐶𝐴𝑁 𝑌𝑂𝑈 𝑆𝐸𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝐺𝐻𝑇 𝑇𝐻𝑅𝑂𝑈𝐺𝐻 𝑀𝐸?

Edward stayed by Gwen's side, 'sleeping' next to her in a cot that was set up for him. Of course, the orderlies would come by to check in on them every hour or so. He knew Doctor Nadar was very protective of Gwen and had scheduled this check in. The doctor was still on high alert for Gwen's attack, not putting her trust so easily in Edward.

And he did not blame her. In fact, he was grateful for what a selfless service and kindness the doctor was showing towards Gwen. If he had not been there, he was glad to know someone was looking out for the raven-haired woman.

Edward pulled his chair close to Gwen's bed as she slept, resting his elbows on the edge of the mattress next to her shoulder. He didn't know if she was sleeping peacefully, or if her mind would still be back in that accursed home of the Volturi.

And yet, as he stared at her bronze skin in the moonlight, his eyes lingered on her intensely, as though he could will her back to herself. As if he could protect her merely by manifesting it.

Sometimes, when the moonlight would hit her just right—with her dark hair tangled around her copper face, wearing one of the clinics gowns, her features relaxed in unconsciousness, her full lips slightly parted—she took his breath away. He felt so stupid to have given up his chance to be with her, and for what? They all ended up in the place he wanted to prevent them to be in by marrying Bella.

And Gwen was paying the price.

As the night went on, every so often, Gwen thrashed in her blankets, her face sometimes worried, sometimes forlorn. He felt helpless as he he could not help her, could not see what was frightening her and promise to make it all go away. He wondered what nightmare haunted her... What horrors she had seen when the Volturi had attacked her. What other horrors she had not told him about?

It truly took everything in him to not reach out and embrace her, even hold her hand. To provide some sense of comfort. But he knew he could not. They were friends. And he was a stranger to her.

The vampire frowned as he realized, perhaps his presence was not allowing her to sleep. He wondered if he stepped outside and watched over her from afar, if she might sleep better. He hated the idea of leaving her unprotected, but if it helped her...And he would only be outside of the building.

He got up quietly from his seat, planning on telling the orderlies he was going to his room at the bed and breakfast to gather clothing. Perhaps, she would be able to sleep without nightmares when the monster was not present.

"Stay," Gwen sighed, moving restlessly again, rolling to her side to meet Edward's eyes. "Don't go. Please... don't go. I'll try to not make so much noise--"

Edward struggled to find words to name the feelings that flooded through him, but he had no words strong enough to hold them. His life was an unending, unchanging midnight. It must, by necessity, always be midnight for him. So how was it possible that the sun was rising now, in the middle of his midnight?

"It's not you at all" Edward said gently, meeting her eyes with a smile. "I thought I was—"

"No, it's not you" Gwen said, sighing as she rested her head on the pillow.

The two locked eyes once more. The gold into the dark brown, as more silent seconds passed them by. The sounds of the rural village were the only thing between them.

Edward grinned as he could not resist her pleas, sitting back down in the chair next to her.

"You know you had trouble sleeping, even before you lost your memory."

"Really?" Gwen said, frowning as she played with her hands. "So, what do I do? I mean, I don't think I went everyday without sleeping."

"You would take medicine that helped you sleep" Edward replied honestly, referring to the magical potion she drank.