𝐴𝑆 𝑊𝐸 𝐾𝑁𝑂𝑊 𝐼𝑇

"Count me in too" Astoria said quickly, not acknowledging the subtle truce Harry made with Edward, as she looked determined to help. "I want to find her too--"

"No" Harry answered immediately, turning to the younger girl with conviction.

"I love her too!" Astoria stated, looking furious to be shot down so quickly. "She's my friend, I'm her intern, not to mention I've been by her side this entire--"

"Sure, and when she returns, she'll give us hell for putting her intern in danger. Edward and Alex are going," Harry commanded, looking to the two of them and ignoring Astoria. "The smaller the group the better. Everyone thinks Alex is in Italy right now anyways, no one knows who Edward is. If Kate and Carmen get caught as well, well, it won't be good for any of us."

Astoria opened her mouth to argue, but then closed it as Harry's eyes softened.

"It's not easy on any of us" Harry insisted through gritted teeth. "Don't you think I want to go too? But Orla's right...Even Gwen...Before she left, she told me I needed to think with my head instead of my heart. This legislation and the Republic of Magic are important to her too, we need to think about that Astoria. What if you get caught? You're Gwen's right-hand woman, it wouldn't be good. I know they'll bring her back...They have to."

"And we will" Edward promised, feeling frustrated that they had not leapt into action yet. Time was of the essence...

"Guess we're the dream team" Alex winked to Edward, tossing his blond hair back. "Back in action!"

"Give them hell" Kate said fiercely, looking to Edward and Alex. "Make them pay for what they did."

"If you get caught" Orla informed them, turning her large round eyes to Edward and Alex, "We, specifically me, knew nothing of this. There is no helping you again. You are on your own."

"We understand" Edward nodded politely, as the elf turned her attention to him. "We're willing to take that risk."

"Edward, my cousin" Carmen said quietly, as he met her sorrowful eyes and her thoughts filled his head. I don't know what happened, but I feel it deep in my heart that he is alive. Please, bring him back to me.

"I...I will do what I can," Edward promised his cousin, knowing full well that if the Volturi got to Gwen...They would not spare Eleazar. Even then, his mind was on saving Gwen...Whatever was left of her.

Edward flinched at the thought. He wished he was as optimistic as Harry Potter. There was no slither of doubt in his mind that she would not be a vampire and that she was alive. He felt frustrated at the fact that Alice would not be able to 'see' Gwen in any vision.

He felt completely blind and powerless.

It was hard to process the strange physical sensation that accompanied this realization. Edward knew that an actual pit had not opened in the center of his torso, but the impression was unnervingly realistic. He wondered if it was some long-forgotten human response that he'd never felt in his immortal life because I'd never had a reason to panic quite like this...

Once more, his mind took him to a deep dark pit...Seeing Gwen suffering in unimaginable pain. The pain he still remembered clearly, the pain that would haunt her for eternity.

"Do you need some time to gather your bearings?" Orla asked, as she looked curiously to Edward. He had no idea what to make of her gaze, knowing full well he had no prior knowledge of elf customs. But what he did know about his short interaction with Orla, was that he did not want to get on the wrong side of her.

"I'm ready to go now" he replied politely, grateful for the distraction and ready to act. He walked over Orla and Alex's side. "We will need to go straight to Volterra, I can lead the way to the Volturi. They don't get into too many confrontations, they won't be expecting us. No one is dumb enough to mess with them."