26

MAY 5
Five fifty pm

Jaya sat next to Alan and hugged him tight to her chest. He was still crying and began soaking Jaya's body with his tears but she didn't care.

"You didn't kill them" Jaya mumbled softly to Alan who only shook his head in response, clearly not believing her.

"You made a mistake yes but you didn't intentionally kill them." She added before moving his hair out his face.

"Yes I did. No matter what you say nothing is going to change the fact that I did kill them in some way or shape of form" Alan said as he moved his head out of her chest.

Jaya was silent.

Alan looked away from her and cleared his throat. Their waiter came over in the next few minutes with their food making Jaya send him a small smile as a way of saying thank you. 

Jaya looked down at her food and almost drooled at the sight of the beautiful presented food. She looked at Alan and saw him already taking part in the food presented before him.

They ate silently.

Both engulfed in their thoughts.

When Jaya finished her food, she took a sip of her drink before leaning back against the booth. Alan finished a few minutes before her and was staring out of the window deep in thought.

"Sometimes I use to think that the world was just against me" Jaya said suddenly as she stared down at the silver table in front of her.

"It got worse when my father died. " She mumbled with a slight frown on her face.

"I use to sing and dance at the school I use to go to. There was this musical going on and I had to sing this solo. There was this girl names Aubrey who hated me because I kinda took her spot in the musical. When it was time for my solo, she turned my mic sound all the way down so that no one could hear me singing then took a microphone. She stepped out on the stage and began singing my solo for me.

"I was so embarrassed and ran off the stage. There was these I don't know what you call them but it was like big concrete plates on the side and I ended up running into them. Hard might I add. Then when I ran into them, I ended up falling down the small set of stairs. The concrete plates ended up falling down the stairs with me and landed on top of me."

"I screamed loudly at the pain causing everyone to pause and try to find out where that scream came from. My dad ran over to me and helped get the plates off of me but my leg was crushed and also the lower part of my stomach. I couldn't feel anything from my chest down."

"He ended up carrying me to the waiting ambulance about ten minutes later. He got on that ambulance with me which was the biggest mistake of his life" Jaya felt the watery tears, that were coating her eyes, threatening to fall down her cheeks.

"On the way to the hospital this big trash truck ended up crashing into the ambulance. It hit the side where my dad was sitting on the passenger side of the ambulance. The ambulance completely flipped over and because I was strap to the little gurney, I was flipped over with the gurney on my back and my cheek pressed against the ceiling of the ambulance which was now the floor."

She paused.

"I screamed for my dad but I couldn't hear him answering me. So I started panicking more and more as I kept screaming for him. What I didn't know was that my dad was flung across the ambulance and hit his head so hard that when he finally fell down, his neck cracked."

Jaya was now silently crying but she couldn't stop the small sob that escaped her lips.

"I was laying in that position for a hour before someone was able to rescue us. I was the only one to survive that accident besides the trunk driver." She let out a humorless laugh before she sobbed again.

"But only one thing was on my mind and that was that if I never ran into those plates then my dad never would have gotten on that ambulance and he would still be alive."

She was silent after that. Only stared down at the silver table with so much pain and anger running through her body as salty tears continued to run down her cheeks.

A few minutes passed or silence.

Jaya felt a presence next to her sitting down. Alan wrapped his arms around the crying girl and pulled her to his chest.

No words were spoken.

He only held her tight in his arms while she cried her eyes out.

"You must think I'm stupid right" Jaya sniffled but Alan only shook his head as he looked down at her.

"I think you are a strong woman who doesn't deserve to have to able all of this pain." He said as looking at her in her eyes with so much intensity. Jaya felt a slight blush grace her cheeks before she let out a small smile.

He reached up and wiped her eyes with the pad of his right thumb. Her eyes fluttered close only for her a meer second before she looked back up at him again.

"You are so strong Jaya Avery. More than you will ever know" he said and Jaya's heart melt at his words. She sent him another smile and sniffled slightly.

Then she did the one thing she never expected herself to do.

She kissed him.

And he kissed her back.