Chapter 16 - Answers

Start from the beginning

"What's wrong ?" He asked.

"I read the book." I only answered.

Suddenly, he started to laugh at me while my face stayed the same. Unamused.

"That's why you came in like that ?" he said through his laugh. "You didn't shit your pants, did you ?"

"Not yet." I admitted. "Depends on what you're going to say."

He frowned at that. I didn't bother asking questions about werewolves because if vampires were real, I didn't want werewolves to be. That was already too much supernatural for me.

"Tell me everything you know about the cold ones." I said.

"Their legends are as old as ours." Sam started. "But, apparently our great-grandfathers met them. The cold ones or vampires if you want. We made a treaty with them because they claimed themselves from being different than the ones our ancestors had met."

"What treaty ?" I asked, deeply interested in the story.

"If they don't trespass our territory and hurt humans, we won't kill them or report them to the pale ones."

The Cullens don't come to La Push.

It was impossible that he was talking about them if it was a story from our great-grandparents.

"Did the cold ones resurface recently or years ago ?" I continued my interrogation.

"They did. The same ones. The cold ones don't age. Technically, they are dead but still live."

A silent took place as I processed the information Sam had been giving me. My eyes were staring at the counter without really looking at it.

"Hey, you look terrified." Sam commented which brought me back to reality.

"How many were they ?" I asked.

"It was a clan. There were 7 of them."

Just like the Cullens.

I was staring at Sam without actually looking at him. He waved in front of my face, trying to get my attention. It was only when he touched my shoulder that I startled. Sam seemed surprised, almost worried.

"Don't take what I said too seriously. I didn't know you'd be scared that much. These are legends." Sam tried to reassure me.

"Be honest with me, Sam. Did you start believing in this part of the legends around 3 years ago ?" I suddenly asked Sam which caused him to fall silent. His silence was my answer. "They're going to my school, Sam. And you're telling not to take it seriously ?"

I stormed out of the store, and walked quickly towards the parking lot to find my car. It was only when I was in, that I allowed myself to breathe.

This whole situation was getting worse.

~~

Edward

Alice's name appeared on my phone's screen for the fifth time. I knew why she called me. And she probably already knew why I wasn't answering.

As part of my night routine, I watched over Aiyanna while she was sleeping. The dream she had confirmed the doubts that started to form in her mind regarding us. The terror in her eyes as she looked around her bedroom once she woke up, and the sound of her heart beating out of fear...