✨forty✨

"the most dangerous prison is not behind bars but in our heads"

✨ "the most dangerous prison is not behind bars but in our heads" ✨

Love. Is it possible for a person to forget how to love? It's been ten years since Brynn has been in a serious relationship, and we all know how that turned out. Was Brynn able to love Damon as he deserved to be loved?

Was she able to put her broken pieces back together in order to love him? Would he help her?

She didn't know. All she knew is that Damon was looking at her with those pretty blue eyes of his, and he was smiling at her as if she was . . . Well, as if she was his everything.

It scared her, but this time she wasn't going to run away. This time she wasn't going to be a coward. She was going to face it.

"I. . ."

"You don't have to say it just because I did." He tucks a strain of hair behind her ear. "When you say it, I want you to mean it; not because you feel obligated to."

Oh, man.

The thing was, she was pretty positive she did love him. She'd contemplated it in her mind many times, and this is how she felt when she was with Drew. Honestly, she felt more connected to Damon than she had with him, which immediately made her feel guilty.

It was just something about Damon that made her cold heart tick.

"Now just let me hold you."

He scoots over and wraps his arm around her, tucking her close. She sighs, resting her head on his chest.

Yeah, she could get used to this.

***

"I want you to come with me."

Brynn shakes her head. "No way."

"Come on, it'll be fun. We'll dance, have a couple drinks, and make fun of everyone! What's not to like?"

Damon has spent the last half hour trying to convince Brynn to be his date to the Mystic Falls pageant. So far, it hasn't been going so well.

The only reason Brynn would even go is to talk to her brother who's been awol lately. But Damon was very persuasive with his words. And his mouth.

"Come on," he reached towards her, peppering kisses on her cheek, nose, and then forehead. "It won't be the same without you."

"You just want me to help you in case something happens with Jeremy or Elena." She puts her hands on his chest, lightly pushing him back so she can look into his eyes.

Damon obviously knew this was a test; things have been kind of tense lately between Elena, Damon, and Brynn. Elena has subtly gave Damon hints that she was interested in him when they were together, but when it was just Elena and Brynn, she was acting like another person.