Keep a clear head

Coach Kojima's words replayed in your head, the refs whistle ringing in the background as you brought the ball up in front of you.

You locked eyes with your predetermined rival across the court, too concentrated to smirk at her as you threw the ball up.

You stepped up after it, planting your feet as you used the momentum to jump even higher. Your cheeks puffed as you swung your arm back, the farthest and with the most strength you could muster. You swung at the ball, sending it flying to the other side of the court, straight at the girl from before.

The smirk you had been too concentrated to show before, now painted your face as she looked back over at you, the ball having just bounced off her arms and towards the wall behind her.

"Nice Y/N!"

You looked towards the center of your court, catching Nakamoto smiling widely at you as she gave you a big thumbs up.

You smiled back returning her thumbs up as Nakayama snickered at the encounter on the sidelines.

You caught the ball once more, stepping behind the end line to bounce and twirl it.

My mind's always clear

-

You sighed, standing up from your crouching position as you looked up at the scoreboard.

Shiratorizawa v Niiyama 2-1

6-8

You nodded, looking at the other side of the court to see Niiyama rejoicing at their past point. The past point being a dump their setter had pulled.

To say you were pissed, would be an understatement. Especially after she grinned at you, the same exact grin Tooru gave you whenever he'd pull things like these.

"Y/N."

You hummed, taking off your apron to look at him questioningly. "What?"

"What's this?" He scowled, looking down at the bowl you had set in front of him.

"It's ginseng leaf salad."

"I know that!" Tooru shrieked, standing up to loom over you. "But why are you giving me salad when mamma recently bought beef?"

You shrugged, pulling out the chair to sit down as you grabbed your cup of water.

"We have finals tomorrow Nii-chan. We can't be eating heavy."

Tooru scoffed, starting a small fight as you bickered back and forth. Your mother eventually walked in and told the both of you off for making so much noise, so he sat down. Forcefully eating the salad as he accepted his defeat.

You dined in comfortable silence, the only noise filling the room being that of the crunching of your salads.

"Do you ever get overwhelmed?"

You crunched on another piece of salad, glancing up at Tooru as you slowly nodded.

"In the sense that I wonder whether I'm doing anything right, or, overthinking every little thing I've done?" You asked, tilting your head as he glanced up at you, holding your eyes for a couple seconds before looking back down with a shrug.

"Both?"

"I've definitely gotten anxious to the point that I felt like I couldn't breathe..." You drifted off, ignoring the concerned stare Tooru was giving you. "But, it passes." You nodded, taking another bite of your salad as Tooru sighed.