Chapter 35 - Worry

Milo's PoV

"Henry!! Henry it's me, open the door please!!" I called, hammering against the door, mirroring how my heart was beating in my chest. Henry didn't call for help, he never did, so that meant that it was especially bad, whatever was waiting for me on the other side of that door. I wondered if he could even open that door, but on the phone he sounded like he was in so much pain, like he was just about giving up when he told me to come and help him. Josh was apparently gone, he had left after doing whatever it was that he did to my Henry. 

When I heard nothing on the other end, I was close to losing it. I wanted to cry and kick down the door, but this one I probably couldn't take and if I ran downstairs to the janitor of the building and told him that something wasn't right in this apartment, it would get back to Josh and though I so didn't care what he thought anymore, honestly I just wanted to kill him myself, I knew that it could put Henry in danger. But he already was so...And just when I wanted to race down and get me that key that could let me help my probably very hurt Henry, the door slowly opened. 

And Henry looked at me, his face showing clear signs that he had first of all cried and that he was in a lot of pain, which I could also see by the way he was holding his body and slightly hiding it behind the door. And my heart sunk into my stomach when I saw this all so clearly right before me. "Milo" Henry managed to say, his bottom lip wobbling and it looked like his legs were giving out under him, but I leaped forward, holding him up. He was clinging onto me, clearly exhausted and I quickly picked him up and carried him into the apartment and over to the couch. And there were clear signs of a fight having happened in here. Because the place was pretty trashed.

The chairs were pushed over, a bit of blood was left behind on the white wall, books and flowers that once stood in their place to decorate the apartment, were laying on the floor and there was glass next to the rest, as if somebody had thrown glasses or something like that. When Henry was laying down, I immediately examined his face, that was as always the only thing on his body that wasn't bruised and beaten. I immediately wanted to look for what was causing him the most pain, but I was afraid of hurting him and so I asked "Henry where does it hurt, should I call an ambulance??" Because my Henry did not look very well and my heart was sick in worry, for which I clearly had a reason, but Henry shook his head, tears leaving his eyes as he reached for my face. 

"No, please don't I-...I'm sorry" he breathed and that he apologized to me just about broke my heart. Henry was the last person that should apologize. "No no it's ok, don't apologize" I said, unable to be the strong one, as I hugged him and Henry hugged me back, tightly, letting a few cries out. Why was this happening, what had he ever done wrong to deserve this? Nothing, nobody should ever have to go through this, but especially not Henry! He was so strong and I wanted to take his pain and bare it for him, but that wasn't possible without hurting him even more. But right now...the emotional pain he would feel if I was to get hurt instead of him seemed a lot better to me than the physical one he had to experience right this second. 

After a while Henry pulled away and I kneeled there before him on the couch, feeling so helpless, because I didn't know what to do, how I could make it better. The sad thing was, there was nothing that I could do to make it better. I still didn't know why Henry had called me for help. I mean the answer was obvious, because he was hurt and his partner was the reason behind his pain, but Henry didn't call for help. He should, but he didn't, so I was afraid of why he had called me here for today. Was it to help him clean the apartment so that when Josh came back he wouldn't get angry again? Was it because he wanted to flee the country now? I didn't want to ask, but at the same time, I really did. 

"Uhm Milo I-...I'm too afraid to look, so could you, maybe?" Henry finally asked, looking up at me and the tears in his eyes were exchanged for what was definitely fear, making me want to shudder as well. Something on his body wasn't right and it even scared him so it must have been bad. I gulped, before I nodded "Yes, of course, where do you want me to check?" Henry took a deep breath before he sat up, turning around and he took off his shirt. And now I knew where the blood came from.