"uvo would never lose in a fair fight, do you hear me?! not unless he was caught in some dirty trap! i'll make his killer pay." a visible vein popped out of nobunaga's head from the tight grip he had on gon's hand. "i'll find him, no matter who i have to kill. the chain user holds some kind of grudge against us— a strong one. the mafia's nostrade family hired him recently."

'grudge.. revenge... kurapika?!'

"you may not know him personally, but maybe you heard rumors... so, think hard, alright? you better not hold anything back."

gon's eyebrows furrowed as he began to defend himself. "i don't know him. but even if i did, i would still never give him up to you! i thought you wall were a bunch of cold-blooded monsters. but i can see you can shed tears for your friends. so, you're capable of empathy. but you've killed... you've killed so many innocent people! why wouldn't you feel that for them? what the hell is wrong with you?!"

gon's hand slammed nobunaga's on the flat concrete emitting a loud thud to ring inside the abandoned building.

feitan was quick to react. he grabbed gon's wrist and pinned him against the cinder. "careful. you're too cocky."

this time, killua was quick to react and tried to spring to gon's aid. unfortunately, he was immediately halted by hisoka who positioned a poker card dangerously close to killua's neck, drawing a trickle of crimson blood.

"answer the question." feitan began. "do you know who the chain user is?"

gon, being the stubborn boy he is, held his ground. "i told you! i'm not telling you anything, so get off me!"

before feitan could respond, nobunaga interjected. "feitan. stop it.

"stop what?" feitan innocently questioned

"stop doing what you're just about to do." nobunaga said while caressing his right hand.

"oh? you think you know what i'm about to do?"

"you're going to break his arm, aren't you?"

feitan's tone of voice downed down to a hush. "i'd start with a finger... peel off a nail."

while the troupe was distracted watching feitan and nobunaga's quarrel, you, dazai, and chuuya— scratch that— you and chuuya collectively agreed to try and escape while your captors were distracted. dazai was in lala land watching and eager to see the fight that was practically begging to break out. you inched over to chuuya and helped him pick the locks of the many chains that binded his limbs together. you figured out that one of the members, specifically pakunoda, had the ability to see into someone's memories through physical touch. meaning she knew chuuya could manipulate gravity, hence the chains only on him. which also meant that if pakunoda were to check your memories again, she could have a clear depiction of kurapika. the chains came undone and the two of you stood up. but, dazai still engrossed in the argument, kicked the pebble off of the ledge you were standing on.

multiple heads snapped over to you and your two— in this situation— allies.

'dazai, i'm going to beat your ass when we get back home.'

"where do you think you're going?"

as you were about to come up with a clever lie, gon interrupted you. "Y/N?!"

'you're just now noticing me?!'

killua looked like he gave up and acknowledged your presence as well.

"y/n, you're part of the phantom troupe?! i thought you worked as a detective!" gon shrieked.

you slapped your hands against your face and looked at gon with a deadpanned expression.

"y/n?! you know these brats?!" chuuya and dazai exclaimed.

talking to people who lack common sense made your head ache as you plopped right back to the spot you were previously in.

the troupe grabbed gon and killua and shuffled closer to you so if you were to try and escape, it wouldn't be easy.

"well, what do we do with them? they haven't told us anything about the chain user." shizuku said while analyzing the five prisoners.

"if they don't know anything, then just let 'em go. am i right, pakunoda?" franklin answered.

"i checked on the trip here. it's true, they really don't know anything." pakunoda sauntered closer. "same goes for those three." she gestured over to you. "they have no memories of the chain user whatsoever."

'looks like i was right. she can look into people's memories.'

the troupe began to bicker about whether they should free their unwanted guests.

"alright, the kids can go, but those other three can't. boss specifically said not to let them go." shalnark protested.

"not just yet." a serious look was plastered on nobunaga's face. "i'm not letting the kids go. you wanna join the spiders? team up with me." he said to the duo. specifically gon.

a scowl formed on gon's face "no. i would die than team up with you guys. so it's never gonna happen!"

"he really hates us, doesn't he." nobunaga laughed. "hey, we're keeping them here until the boss gets back. i'm nominating it."

a deadpann expression etched its way on phinks' face. "are you serious? the boss will never agree to that."

machi scoffed. "whatever. but you're babysitting them. it's on you if they escape."

the troupe, minus nobunaga, discussed how to find someone who knows the chain user's attributes and/or whereabouts.

"hey, wait a minute, what if those three escape?" shalnark pointed to dazai.

at this point, you were fighting the urge to fall asleep as if your life depended on it.

'it's surprising the port mafia hasn't come to save chuuya yet. his squad should have noticed chuuya was missing if mori went back to base.'

"why don't machi and hisoka babysit them? they both don't have a partner so it's perfect." franklin suggested.

before machi could protest, every single member, including hisoka, agreed and began to disperse into their designated pairs. machi huffed and glared at hisoka who gave her a coy grin.

───────────────

( a/b: feitan's dialogue isn't how he would cannonly speak and i apologize because i am rewatching the episodes in dub and writing the chapters

and, THANK YOU FOR 1K READS. i strayed away from wattpad for the week to focus on my final presentation and bam, i open up wattpad to over 1k reads. AND it's my birthday today so opening up the app to so many reads is such an amazing birthday gift :). thank you to all the people who vote and the ghost readers. love y'all xx. )