( eight )

───────────────

───────────────

YOU WERE SEATED next to dazai in the first flight to yorknew city. it's been five hours since the departure and a question has been eating away at your mind, desperately wanting to be answered. swallowing your pride, you turned to dazai and gave his shoulder a light tap.

"hmm? what's this? is y/n finally asking for my help?"

your eye twitched in irritation. "shut the fuck up!"

dazai laughed as you continued. "do you... know what nen is? some guy in the exam told me rashomon is an 'extraordinary nen ability' but i don't know what the hell nen is."

dazai's eyebrows raised in surprise, not expecting this kind of question. "nen, or flame, is a power that fired out souls. in other words, it's the strength of your will. there are four exercises that strengthens your will. ten focuses the mind on a single point, reflect on the self and determine the goal. zetsu is to put into words. ren is to intensify your will. and hatsu is to put it into action."

you hummed in understanding. "so, you have to focus your mind on a single point, express your desired intent, and put it into action?"

dazai happily nodded.

"have you mastered nen, dazai?"

"no, but i can do the four basics. that's why you probably don't ever notice me when i sneak up on you."

your eyes sparkled. "dazai! can you teach me?"

dazai raised a quizzical brow. "why would you need nen?"

"i don't know, i'm pretty sure i'm supposed to learn it."

dazai sighed in defeat and gave in. "when we land, i'll try to teach you before we go to the auction."

"thanks dazai! maybe i'll cut down the age i jump off the eiffel tower with you to 120 years."

"you mean it?!" dazai's eyes gleamed.

"uhh yeah! sure." you scratched your head. "but out of curiosity, who taught you nen?"

dazai slightly hesitated before answering. "my good friend, odasaku."

───────────────