( five )

───────────────

───────────────

YOU WERE BACK on the airship, looking at the vast scenery below you. you were thinking about the armed detective agency and how they were doing. you didn't bring a cellular device since you thought it would just break if you were to get into a serious fight. your train of thought was stopped by a voice from the aircraft's speaker.

"attention all applicants, the chairman wishes to interview each one of you. when you hear your number, come to the reception room on the second floor. we'll start with number 44, hisoka. thank you for your cooperation."

your number was called after a short period of time and you made your way up to the second floor's reception room where you were met with chairman netero.

netero greeted you with a smile. "hello! please take a seat."

you complied and took a seat in front of him on the provided cushion.

"to start off, why do you want to become a hunter?"

you found no need to lie so you told him the truth. "i'm a detective. having a hunters license is handy if we need to go investigate somewhere where only hunters are provided access."

"ah, i understand. moving on, out of the other nine applicants, which one are you keeping a close eye on?"

"hisoka, number 44. he's been watching me for a while now. very creepy to be honest."

netero's eyesbrows raised as he wrote down your answer. "which one of the nine remaining applicants would you least want to fight?"

you hesitated, trying to think of someone you least want to fight but your mind kept drawing a blank. so, you answered with the most basic answer you could muster. "i'll fight anyone if they're a threat to me."

netero hummed has the ink brush grazed the paper. "this doesn't relate to the final phase, but do you know a man named fukuzawa yukichi?"

your eyes narrowed hearing the name of the president of your workplace who you deeply cared for. "...yeah, why..?"

"oh, nothing. just curious. alright, thank you. that is all." netero waved you off.

you stood up and walked out of the reception room.

'that old man is sketchy for no reason.'

────  ◡̈₊· • .  .° ( time skip )

the ten remaining applicants arrived at the final site of the exam.

"for the final phase of the hunter exam, you will be competing in a one on one tournament. you only need one win to pass this phase. it is the winners who will drop away and the losers who will advance to the next round. which means the person who finishes at the top, will not pass. make sense to everyone?"