twenty four

Alaina was shocked by what Damon told them. He was keeping his distance from Elena after what her journal said. He also admitted that he kissed Katherine and he believes that Katherine was hoping for Stefan to arrive not knowing that Matt called Stefan about Alaina.

Alaina hasn't said a word to Elena since she pulled that stunt. She was helping set the carnival though as she was the only one who knew how Caroline would like it. Bonnie saw the blonde and walked over to her. "I know you are not..."

"She lied by saying that Stefan was going to meet me there when she actually wanted to spend time with Stefan." Alaina said as she looked at the paper to see what else needs set up. "I still care for Elena, but she is going to have to grow up and stop being jealous before everyone leaves her."

"She said it was..."

"No." She said. "Katherine was shocked to see Stefan with me at the funeral. She stabbed me because Stefan admitted how much he hates her."

"Oh."

"Yep and I have things that need to be done."
~~~
Stefan was looking for Alaina to tell her what he had just discovered about Caroline. "There you are." He said making her turn. "We have a problem."

"What's wrong?"

"Caroline is a vampire."

Alaina looked at him shocked. She grabbed his hand as they went to meet up with Damon. "How did this happen?"

"We don't know." He said. "But Damon wants Caroline dead now."

"No." She tells him as she stops. "He lays a hand on my best friend, I will kill him."

"I won't let him kill her." He tells her. "I know how much Caroline cares about you and I am willing to help her."

"You knew I would try to help."

Stefan nodded and kissed her. Alaina smiled as they went to tell Damon that they will not be killing Caroline for something that wasn't her fault, but one thing bothered her. Who killed Caroline for her to wake up as a vampire?
~~~
After the meeting, Alaina was searching for Caroline when she saw her covered in blood. "Caroline."

"Alaina?"

"Hey." She said as she ran and hugged her. "Lets go get you cleaned up."

"I'm so sorry, Alaina."

"You're fine."

Stefan saw Alaina and Caroline going to the bathrooms when he saw Damon arguing with Elena. Alaina got Caroline inside the bathroom. "She killed me."

"No, sweetie, it was Katherine. Her doppelgänger."

Stefan walked in and watched Alaina. "I can't stop feeding."

"Hey. Look at me." Caroline looked at her best friend. "I'm not a vampire, but I learned from the best." Stefan smiled as he watched. "Just close your eyes and breath in. Tell yourself that you don't want no more blood."

Caroline closed her eyes and did just that making Alaina smile. Stefan smiled at Alaina as she looked at him. She knew him inside out.
~~~
Alaina had Caroline go home. Stefan wrapped his arms around her making her look up at him. "Follow me." He said as they walked together. "Tonight, I was hoping the two of us can spend time together, but with Caroline waking up as a vampire and then there is Tyler's family that we are trying to understand that we didn't get to do much together."

"Stefan, we're spending time together even though there is no one here and I like it like that." She tells him.

Stefan wrapped his arms around her and jumped to the top of the Ferris wheel making her laugh. Alaina smiled at the view as Stefan grabbed her left hand. "What you told Caroline was amazing. You may not be a vampire, but you understood me." He said. "You knew how to calm Caroline down and you talked her right through it."

"She needs someone to support her." She said. "And to tell her that she has help."

"That's why I fell in love with you." Stefan confessed. "You are sweet, compassionate, and supportive of those around you. That is someone I want to marry."

"What are you doing?" She asked as he pulled out a ring making her tear up. "Stefan..."

"Will you marry me, Alaina Richardson?"

"Yes." She said as she kissed him.

Damon smirked as everyone he had compelled cheered making the two look. "Damon." Alaina said with a smile making Stefan laugh. "I love you."

"I love you."