[ 38 ] Afternoon Fun

*

"Baekhyun, have you seen my-"

Chanyeol abruptly pauses on his own upon opening the door and seeing his empty office, realizing Baekhyun isn't sitting on top of the desk like he usually does. This place is dull and quiet now, unlike before when his husband was still coming to work with him. Baekhyun would laze around his office like it was their home, lying on the couch, playing games on his phone, or sleeping like a baby after they're done having sex.

"Right. He's not here anymore."

It's been a week now since Baekhyun got unemployed, and Chanyeol admits he's still not getting used to not seeing Baekhyun during his breaks. He spent these past uneventful seven days at work being a complete workaholic, attending meetings after meetings, lecturing until the sun goes down, managing paperworks, investments, and assets, dealing with stocks and shares, working on his Doctorate degree, sometimes dropping by the pastry shop to buy sweets, eating lunch with colleagues and not with Baekhyun, texting and calling Baekhyun during breaktime, checking up with his Dad to chat about nonsense stuff, and clocking out and finally going home to Baekhyun waiting for him like his devoted househusband.

"Where did I put those documents?"

Shaking his head to himself, Chanyeol just proceeds to go to his desk, opening the drawers in search of the printed material he forgot to bring in class. He also rummages the shelves and organizers but to no avail. Not finding the file anywhere, he pauses for a second and thinks.

"Did I forget it in the car..."

Loosening up his tie, he plops on his swivel chair and stares at nothingness.

It's all silent.

The low buzzing of the aircon and the ticking of the clock seem to be louder now than usual. Since when did his office get so spacious and clean like this? It feels strange and lonely. And lifeless.

Chanyeol massages his forehead, clenching his eyes shut as thoughts of a smiling and laughing (and moaning) Baekhyun flood his mind. Getting his phone and scrolling through his messages, it slowly dawns on him that the document he needs was left at home, just on top of his study table. To be quite honest, small things like this don't slip off his mind often. Probably the lack of Baekhyun by his side makes his head pretty disoriented.

Should he call Baekhyun and ask him to deliver the file, or should he just return home and get it himself?

"Maybe I'll just go home for a bit."

It's an excuse to see Baekhyun anyway, Chanyeol tells himself as he opens his messaging app. Sending Baekhyun a short text, he tries not to smile like an idiot while he walks along the hallway packed with students bowing at him.

Babe, can you meet me outside the house with that envelope I forgot to bring this morning? It's the brown one. I need it asap! Thanks.♡

"Mr. Park! You look so hot as always!" Three or four female students scream at Chanyeol, seeing him ride his car like he was some famous kpop idol, "Sir! Be my boyfriend!"

"Mr. Park Chanyeol, give me your number! You're so handsome!"

"Sir, I love you! Please date me! I'm single!"

"I'M MARRIED!" Chanyeol yells back at them. "Go study first!" Then he starts the engine, maneuvers the steering wheel, and drives his car out of its reverse parking. He fixes the rear-view mirror, ignoring the girls' flirtatious squeals behind him as he drifts away like a pro.

*

Baekhyun is too preoccupied feeling overwhelmed and stunned to even notice the vibration of his phone carrying his husband's text. Luhan is widely grinning at him, offering him an encouraging smile after he presents to him his high-quality products.