15-Something Just Like This

"Listen to Something Just Like this by Coldplay ft Chainsmokers."

We made our way to his grave and sat slowly beside it.

"Grandpa, I'm here." She said in her shaky voice. "How are you? Are you still watching me?"  She said while running her fingers on the marble stone. At that point, she couldn't hold the tears anymore and just let them flood.

"Grandpaaaa !" I interrupted in a playful tone, trying my best to lighten up the mood. "I'm sorry I don't visit a lot but I know you would forgive me if you know what we've been doing. Just look at Jess. She's a successful grownup now. Aren't you proud of her ?" I went closer and lowered my voice in a whispering manner. "She is still a party animal, Grandpa. But don't worry, I'm keeping an eye on her."

I glimpsed her weak smile at the corner of my eyes.

I gave her a quick side hug which she returned weakly before I stand up and leave her to have her private time with his grave, with him. I  sat nearby but far enough for her to feel comfortable to talk. I could hear her from far apologizing for not bringing flowers, for not visiting regularly, for not bringing her twin. She cried a lot and told him what was going in our lives. I could hear my name being mentioned every now and then. 

The scene brought back lots of memories. I remember the annoyed teenager Jess that moved to South Korea and started living with her grandparents and the whole family. She always whined about how different they were and how she never had privacy in that house. Her grandma was sick but she never cared, they weren't that close. They met for the first time when she was a high school student. Soon, her grandma recovered but her grandpa started getting really sick. She was getting attached to him by time. I was attached too.

He was the typical lovely supportive grandpa you would see in dramas. He was beyond that. He always got our backs whenever we went wild, covered us when we stayed late outside partying, made the three of us the most delicious food ever. That didn't last for too long cause right after she finished high school, he got hospitalized. Jess was going through hard time alone without her twin who was back in Australia. They were trying to fix each others' hearts from far but it was too much for the two kids. Later, there was no hope and they had to say goodbye to their beloved grandpa. Our beloved grandpa. It was my first time to see Jess in such a mental and emotional breakdown and I hoped to never see that again.

I snapped back to reality when I sensed her movement. She cried all her worries and sadness before she gets up to her feet. I saw her smiling and waving her hand to the grave before walking towards me. I stood up waiting for her with a smile. I took her hand in mine again and walked together to the car while swinging our hands back and forth. 

We reached the car and I was about to open the car door for her when she pulled me into a hug encircling her arms around my waist and resting her face to my chest. I threw my arms around her smaller figure. "Thank you." She mumbled.

"Don't. I missed him too, Jess. I miss him a lot. You know he was like my real grandpa as I never had the chance to meet mine."

" I Know. I just didn't want to drag you into my grieving over him anymore. It's been years already. I didn't even think that you would remember the date."

"Of course I would !"

"I never had the chance to say that before." She said then sighed. "But thank you, Jin. Back then when everyone was pushing me to move on, you were the only one to follow my pace and support me until I was able to let go. Thank you."

Her face still buried in my chest, her voice was shaky, her hands were clasped around me. It's rare to see the weak Jess. Honestly, I love that side of her too. The side that no one knows about except for me and her twin as she always hides that behind her crazy stupid feisty behavior.