Chapter Twelve

Arriving at my house he parked my car in the cubby hole and got out. He gave a low whistle as he looked at my house which used to be a farm house before my parents bought it. It was a one story house with red bricks covering the bottom half and a light robin egg blue on the top. Shrubs aligned the front porch leading up to the door. While a white archway gate with a climbing pink rose bush planted next to it led the way to the back porch that over looked the back of our property. He looked over at me as I joined him, "So how do we do this? March in and say guess what mom and dad we're expecting?"
        I shook my head, "No, let's take it easy. Talk, eat some dinner, then sit them down and tell them..... Are you ready?"
      Anthony chuckled nervously, "I don't know if anyone is ever ready to be parents."
     Clasping his hand in mine we walked up to the front door and went inside. The house was oddly quiet. The kitchen and family room lights were off, but the living room that went off from the kitchen had lights so we went that way. Mom and dad were at the computer talking about finances as we walked into the room I dropped his hand, "Hi mom, hi dad."
      Mom smiled, "Hi Julia, Anthony! My how you've grown! Where's your twin sister? You three are like a pack of bubblegum always together."
      "She... Uh she couldn't make it, she had plans."' He looked over at me carefully to see if that was okay to say.
       "Mom, can Anthony stay for dinner?"
        "Well he's here so he might as well stay for some food. I'll need your help cooking, Julia." Mom took me to the kitchen to show me the recipe she was thinking of making while Anthony stood awkwardly in the living room with my dad.
        Dad stood up from the computer chair to shake Anthony's hand, "How old are you son?"
        Anthony shook Julia's dad's hand and gave a smile, "Eighteen, sir."
        "Ever gone by Tony?"
          Anthony shrugged, "Yeah a few times, I prefer Anthony though."
           "Mmm, but for your age Tony would be more decent. Anthony sounds like a young boy not a grown man."
          He didn't know how to respond to Julia's dad, he laughed it off, "Yeah right..... I'm going to go find Jules."
          As he left the living room he heard her dad respond, "Hurry back I haven't told you about my great fishing trip yet."
          Anthony found me at the kitchen table stirring what looked like cake batter. Coming up behind he placed his hands on my shoulders.
          I tensed at his touch, I really wish I could stop doing that every time someone comes up behind me.
          "Sorry." He said as he moved so he was beside me at the wooden table.
          "It's fine." I said looking at the batter as I stirred it, "I tried not tensing up when people touch me, but it's like I can't help it. My body just does it, you know?"
            "Don't blame yourself, it's not your fault what you went through was something  no one should go through." He paused and dipped his finger into the mixing bowl, "What are you making, vanilla cake?" He put his finger with the batter in his mouth.
          "No, it's biscuit mix."
          Anthony spit coughing as the bitter taste of the biscuit mix hit his taste buds.
         I laughed handing him a napkin to wipe his face.
         He grinned, "Remind me to never taste food again when you're cooking." We laughed. "Your dad intimidates me, he's scary."
          "Don't all dads seem scary to the guys?"    
           He nodded, "Fair point."
           Just then my sixteen year old brother Coby came into the room. "Anthony how's it going man!"
         "Coby hey!" Anthony gave him a friendly bro hug and fist bump. They weren't close, but every once in awhile they played video games together like when Lexi would come over and spend time with me and Anthony didn't have plans.
          "I got this new video game, it is sweet! Come down stairs and check it out." Coby headed to the basement door that was in the family room.
         Anthony turned to me, "You're okay if I go hang with Coby instead of your dad right?" He gave me a cute puppy dog look.
         I laughed and nodded my head towards the basement door, "Go, have fun."
         "Yes!" Anthony pumped his fist then pulled me close and kissed my forehead, "Thank you!" Then he ran like an excited kid downstairs.
         I smiled as I watched him leave then went back to stirring.
         "What was that about?"
          I jumped startled and swirled around the whisk still in my hand which caused some batter to splatter to the floor. Emerson my younger sister was standing in the kitchen doorway her arms crossed. "Ugh you scared me! What's what about?" I asked as I laid the whisk down to wipe up the few drops of batter that was on the tiled floor.
       "The kiss."
       I shrugged and stood up laying the rag aside, "It was just a friendly thank you kiss. He gets overly excited about things, no big deal."
      Emerson narrowed her eyes, "Guys don't give girls who are just friends a kiss."
       "Well he does, now come on I need your help making the gravy."
        Thankfully Emerson didn't bring up the topic again. The last thing I needed was her to spill it to mom and dad. I needed tonight to go my way, and at my timing.
                                                             ~
       Awhile later I placed the fresh warm biscuits in a bowl and sat them on the table. Then I went to find the rest of my family while Emerson sat the gravy on the table.
       We all sat around the dinner table. Mom and Dad sat at either end while Emerson and Coby were on one side, and Anthony and me on the other.
        Joining hands Dad bowed his head to pray and we all followed suit, "Dear Lord," my Dad spoke his voice deep, "Thank you for this meal that my beautiful daughters made. Thank you for today and that Tony came to visit, bless this food help it to nourish our bodies and watch over us as we go about our daily lives. Led, guide, and protect us. Amen."
         I looked at Anthony as I lifted my eyes. I wondered how he handled being called Tony and not Anthony.
         He gave me a small smile as he reached for a warm biscuit and passed the bowl to me, "It smells wonderful, Jules."
          I smiled and took the bowl of biscuits.
         Mom dished out the gravy for everyone and we all ate. The food was good, but at the same time it was hard to eat. With every bite I took I got more nervous for what was to come.
            Shortly after dinner and after all the dishes were washed my family all gathered in the family for a regular evening. Little did they know it was going to be a little irregular. Dad and Mom sat in the two tan recliners we had. Anthony and I sat beside each other on the dark green and tan couch closest to my parents while my brother and sister sat on the opposite end of the couch.
       An awkward silence hung in the air. Anthony and I shared a glance, I could tell he wanted me to bring it up first. After all they were my parents. I looked at my parents. I might as well get it over with, there was no easy way telling them. Taking a deep breath I spoke, "Mom, Dad, I have some news." My family was silent as they waited for me to continue. "I'm.... I'm pregnant." My voice cracking slightly.
      "I KNEW IT!" My sister burst out all eyes turned to Emerson.
       I raised my eyebrow surprised at her out burst. "You knew? How!"
       "Yes, Emerson how did you know?" Mom put in.
       Emerson's cheeks turned a bright shade of red, "I mean I didn't know the whole baby thing, but I knew something was up with you and Anthony. I mean that kiss he  gave you wasn't just a friendly kiss."
       Dad rubbed his forehead, "Emerson and Coby, you guys go to your rooms."
     "But Dad! Things just got interesting!" Emerson complained.
    "Now!" He urged.
      Coby and Emerson left the room, Emerson mumbling under her breath about it not being fair.
          When they were out of sight, Mom looked at me then burst out laughing. Dad looked at her like she was crazy. Mom wiped the corner of her eyes, "Good one dear, but it's it a little late for April fools jokes?"
         I shared a glance with Anthony. I couldn't believe it, my mom didn't even believe I was even pregnant! 
           Mom's laughs faded as she looked from me to Anthony and then back to me, "You're..... You're serious?"
            "I missed my period and I'm two weeks pregnant."
           Mom's face grew slightly pale as we all sat there silently. "Oh I need a strong drink!" She quickly got up and went to the wine pantry. Pulling a bottle of Olive Wine out and a wine glass.
         Dad leaned over in his chair, "Can you get me a Bud Lite too dear? You want any Tony?"
        Eyes widening Anthony ignored the fact that my dad had called him Tony again. He was more surprised that my dad was offering alcohol to a minor. "Uhh sure Mr. Blade."
          Finding Anthony's arm I smacked it as hard as I possible could.
          "Ouch!" He said rubbing his arm he looked at me, "What?? You'll be driving me home anyways." He pointed out.
         Unbelievable! How could he do this at a time like this! But more importantly how could my parents do this! At that moment I wished the couch would just come alive, its dark green and tan fabric would split open and swallow me whole. It would take me far away from here.  But of course I was stuck here with my parents who gave into alcohol when things got too stressful, of course I understood this was stressful but did they really have to offer Anthony alcohol?
         Mom came back with two beers, a glass for her wine, and a whole bottle of soft olive wine. She handed Dad the two cans of Bud Lite who kept the one and passed the other to Anthony. Sitting down in her tan recliner mom poured herself plenty of wine then took a big swing from the wine bottle itself. "Ahh.." She sighed then looked over at me, "You're really sure you're pregnant?"
      I nodded, "As sure as that bottle of wine. Have enough to drink there, Mom?" I said dryly.
      "Don't mock me, you brought this all yourself. I mean pregnancy! Julia do you have any idea how expensive it is raising a child!"
       "That's why I haven't decided if I'm keeping the child, we may look into adoption." I took Anthony's hand in mine and held it.
       "Wait.. Wait..." Dad leaned forward in his chair, "Are you saying that Tony here. Is the father? You guys are just friends."
        Anthony took a swing of beer, it burnt on the way down but felt good. "I kissed Jules at a party." He put in before taking another gulp of beer.
       "Yes, he kissed me. And I don't know everything after that changed. We started talking more and things got complicated. We didn't want to tell Lexi of our feelings for each other so we kept quiet." I lowered my head, "Lexi caught us in his bed two weeks ago." Glancing up at my parents I added, "Next thing I know I'm late and I took some pregnant tests too, they're positive." 
       Dad stood up abruptly almost spilling his beer all over his jeans. "How could you be so stupid!"
        "Excuse me, good old 'Dad' I can call you that right since we're pretty much all one big happy family." Anthony said sarcastically, "The last time I checked having sex wasn't a crime." Anthony finished off his beer then got up to get anther one.
        My eyes widened, I couldn't  believe Anthony had the guts to just said that to my dad! I looked at him impressed that he stood up for me. When Anthony returned with not one but two cans of Bud Lite my dad had cooled down some.
       Mom poured herself another glass of wine as a heavy silence hung in the air. Mom and Dad both broke the silence by going off on how teen pregnancy is so horrible, the young relationships never work out. Blah... blah.....blah. I didn't really care about any of their oh your relationship isn't going to hold for the long run crap. After all Anthony and I weren't in a real relationship anyway and once the baby is born we'll go our separate ways. Hopefully staying friends still of course. 
     "Look you two, I know when two people are in love sex seems pretty good."
       I covered my face omg was my dad really going through with saying this!
      "Did any of you stop and think of the consequences of unprotected sex?"
       Yep he said it. I removed my hands from my face to see my mom place her hand on Dad's arm, "Your father and I aren't mad at you for having sex, we are disappointed with the way you had sex.
      I frowned that made absolutely no sense to me!
      "Exactly!" Dad agreed, "Why on earth didn't you use protection! And don't pretend you didn't have any, there are plenty of ways to be protected."
         Anthony just grinned his voice slurred as he spoke, "I was too busy on top of Julia and enjoying myself to think of using a condom."
         Mom's mouth dropped open and Dad's face looked pissed.
        Before I could speak Anthony pulled me close his arm around me, "This girl here knows how to really get rough in bed." Before I could react he place his lips on mine. He tasted disgusting. His mouth had a sour taste from the beer. As much as I wanted to bite down on his tongue and push him away, I knew I couldn't do that with my parents as an audience without looking suspicious.
       When he pulled up for air I took my chance, "Okayyyy  that's enough of this." I said quickly taking away Anthony's Bud Lite from his other hand to realize it was completely empty except for a tiny drop at the bottom and his two other cans were empty as well on the coffee table. When did he even finish off the second one! "I think I need to get you home, babe." I said as sweetly as I could. Standing up with his empty beer cans in one hand I grabbed his arm and helped steady him to his feet. My parents didn't say a word as we left the house.
       Outside the evening air was hot and stuffy. "Well that went well." I said watching Anthony stumbling towards my car.
        He stopped and looked at me, "You're not mad at me for drinking are you?"
        "What's there to be mad about? You're a minor who two grown adults just let drink three cans of beer!"
        He looked off to the distance then got in the passenger seat, "So you are mad then." He mumbled his words slurring together.
        I starting the engine, "Not mad, just don't puke in my car and we'll be good." With that I pulled out of the driveway and drove silently back to Anthony's house.
      Forty five minutes late I pulled to a stop in front of their house. Putting my car in park I turned to say goodbye to Anthony.
       His face smashed into mine. His hands touching my face gently as he kissed me. He held my head with his left hand while his right hand went down and unbuckled my seat belt. Then he right hand grabbed my thigh hard pulling my leg up onto him.
        I pulled back slightly, "Easy tiger we don't have to pretend anymore. No one is watching."
         He leaned against the passenger seat running his left hand up and down my arm, he flashed me a grin, "Stay the night with me." He purred.
         I brushed my hair out of my face and laughed, "No, you're drunk Anthony! By morning you won't remember anything. I have to go, goodnight." I pecked him quickly on the cheek.
         "Aww come on..... It'll be fun...."
         His words hit me like a bolt of lightning throwing me back into Christina's master bedroom I was pinned against their dresser and Sal was in front of me. He reached out running a warm hand up my arm he leaned in and whispered, "Shhh....we're going to have some fun."
       Shaking my head I cleared it of the vision. "I said NO Anthony!" I said more firmly, then pushing him I raised my voice, "Get out! Get out!!!"
        Anthony hurried and opened the door then slammed it shut. I sped off down the road not evening bothering to watch him sway and stagger his way into the house. I made it to a red stop light before bursting into tears. The memory of Sal raping me still haunting my mind. I cried softly, I just wanted it to all end.