Veintitrés/Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

"Yes, ma'am." He stepped outside, holding the trashbag, "Lock the door behind me. I'll call you later, or stop by if I can. 'Kay?"

"Okay." Izzy nodded, "Say 'hi' for me."

She watched him leave before getting started on dinner. She was too busy getting everything ready, she failed to notice the incoming call from Letty.

~ MAYANS ~ ~ MAYANS ~

"Think you can just avoid me? While you're floating in your castle like Marie fucking Antoinette, people have lost their pensions. Good, honest working people have lost everything. You and your husband were supposed to save this town. You've fucking buried it. What's plan B? How are you gonna fix this?

"There's no way we could have foreseen the border shutdown. We can't get any materials now. Our hands are tied."

"Gee, I wonder how you could have foreseen the invasion of your own fucking government because of your husband's criminal activites. Get your cement from Brawley. Get your workers from El Centro. Do something. Because if you don't, what's left of this town will die. People are hurting, and people are fleeing. We're-we're cutting the police force. We can't even afford to pay someone to pick up the fucking trash! You know, I'm-I'm glad you're up here on your hill, away from the stench, but you better hope the wind doesn't shift. Because... I know what it took for you to get what you wanted, and that blood will always be on your hands."

~ MAYANS ~ ~ MAYANS ~

The following Saturday morning, Izzy found herself at Felipe's house after commenting that she hadn't seen his shop open in weeks. EZ decided to stop by his house and check on him, bringing breakfast.

"Pop?" He called out, noticing Izzy eyeing the overflown sink full of dirty dishes, "He hasn't been feeling well lately. Oh, you don't have to do that."

"I know." Izzy shrugged, grabbing the dish washing soap.

"I have a meeting at the clubhouse... have just enough time to drop you off."

"Okay." Izzy nodded, wondering where his dad kept the vacuum cleaner.

"You'll stay?" EZ was surprised to see her keep washing dishes, "Um... my dad's- he's not feeling up to company right now."

"I'll just clean this up. It won't take long." She heard him walk into another room.

EZ went into his father's bedroom while he was sleeping and moved the gun in his nightstand to another drawer so he wouldn't wake up, startled at someone in his home, and accidently scare her with a gun to her face. Though, he thought, it probably wouldn't be the first time she's been in that kind of situation. He reluctantly left her alone while his his dad kept to his bed.

A little while later, after cleaning up as best as she could, she heard the old man get out of bed and enter the kitchen, "EZ says you've been sick."

"I want you out of my house."

"He also said that you haven't been eating. I haven't cooked anything to eat for myself yet, so I thought-"

"Izzy."

"Felipe, respectfully, I've got nowhere to be," She challenged him.