Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

I felt the babies get really active, without thinking about it I up my hands on my belly. "What's your name?"

"Clare." She smiled as she looked back at the bedroom door. "Daddy's home."

When the door opened, she was already vanishing into the air like the smoke was supposed to. She looked back at Mikko with a sad smile.

He was instantly furious. He tried to stop her, but she disappeared just before he could reach her. "What did she do?" he roared. "I'm going to kill her."

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. Mikko went to the side table and stared at the symbol drawn there.

He wiped his finger over the residue from the spell and brought it to his nose. "It smells like defensive magic." He pulled out his phone and took a picture of it. "Did she say anything to you?"

I slowly say back down on my bed. "She said they were going to be safe," I whispered. "She said the three of us were going to be safe."

Mikko rumbled like a wolf as he pressed things on his phone. "If this is anything but protection, I'm going to make sure she begs for death."

I shook my head. "Marshall's doing a good enough job of that on his own." Mikko's brows creased. "Her face was covered in bruises. She looks like they've been slapping her around."

Mikko turned to the bed. "Lay down. I need to check for anything harmful."

I complied and rested my head on a pillow. He flattened the shirt against my belly then brought his ear down to it. He closed his eyes and listened.

After a couple of minutes he stopped. "It sounds like normal I suppose."

His phone went off. He immediately checked it. "She doesn't have to worry about dying just yet." He let out a relieved sigh. "It was a protection spell, a powerful one." He looked at the chalk drawing again, before his eyes started scanning around the room. "Did she hurt anyone here?"

"Not here. She brought a chunk of hair and skin with her. She dropped it in at the end of the spell." I could tell by the distant look in his eyes that Mikko was doing something. Maybe he was checking on everyone around the area. "She said it was from the one who cut her finger off."

He instantly looked less distracted. "So then it wouldn't be anyone from this pack," he thought out loud.

"Why did she need the flesh?" I asked even though I was pretty sure I already knew the answer.

"The spell was the powerful kind that requires a sacrifice."

"S-sacrifice..?" I stuttered, "As in human sacrifice?"

He smirked. "Yes, as in human sacrifice."