chapter 19

Chapter 19

"Where are they?" Selltresse was starting to get frustrated and angry. Her plan was about to be put into action, that was if she could find the children in the first place. She couldn't find her daughter, though she wasn't really looking very hard, she was usually with the two boys. It had been like that since the day they were introduced.

"I am not sure dear." Vandkin tried to keep a calm and steady voice. He knew that his wife would probably turn on him and question why he was being so calm, surely her husband would be as eager as she was for the kingdom to run smoothly once again. To Selltresse, Vandkin and her held all the same ideals. "We will find them soon."

Truth be told, the royals didn't know the castle very well. They hadn't designed the castle and they for sure had no part in making it. There were hidden passageways, rooms they didn't know the purpose of and many convenient ways to eavesdrop. It had became a rather favourable activity for the workers to listen in on conversations. It was extremely easy and nobody would ever catch them. Nobody who would do anything about it.

The royals were walking briskly down the hallways which surrounded the courtyard, flowers and plants grew beautifully in the centre of the castle. There were benches and waterfalls and it was an entirely serene place to be. There was an serenity at that moment as people ran out of the royal's way, knowing they'd make no consideration and were willing to walk straight into people so that someone would end up being punished.

"They cannot have disappeared. They have no reason to. Their parents have expectations and I expect Laidra to ensure her children are well educated for their future in the royal household." Her voice was loud and prideful. It was as though she didn't care who heard her. It was ehr castle and her home, she shouldn't care, everyone there worked for her and so they were loyal.

"Then they should be in the library. Should they not?" Vandkin suggested as he looked around the halls, each time they passed a hallway he would look down it, to see what was there, just in case he saw a child's head peeking out from a doorway.

"Where exactly is the library?" Selltresse inquired, expecting her husband to know. "We have no need for those rooms, we should not be expected to know such things meant for intelligent children." She may have been to the library many times in her existence but she had never taken note of where it was. Such things were unimportant.

"I'm not-" Vandkin was about to say before something caught his eye, causing him to put an arm in front of Selltresse. She gave him a rather fierce glare and waited for him to explain himself. He pointed towards two figures in the garden. "That is a better idea." Standing in front of a fountain was Laidra and Addafor, talking very quietly to each other.

Laidra and Addafor were not able to speak of their plans in the open or public. They knew exactly where everything was in the castle, they had designed it after all. It was something which gave them a massive advantage over the royals and they knew they had to keep it that way. All of the workers were on the side of the advisors, it was the advisors which cared for them, treated them with respect and actually made sure they got paid. The workers knew the amount of work that the advisors did was about three times the amount of the royals.

They were taking some moments of peace before they had to continue working. They didn't spend a lot of free time together, now that they had so many things to research. They were taking a few moments to calm down and think about all that had happened. Their thoughts were interrupted by a high pitched "Laidra!"

They turned around to see Selltresse strutting towards them with Vandkin attempting to keep up with her. "Selltresse, Vandkin." Laidra bowed her head respectfully and spoke in a clear, calm voice. "Is there something that you need?" She couldn't break her act for a moment, she could not let them know that she knew their plans and intentions.

"Well..." Selltresse ahd not expected her friend to act so calmly, it was a pleasant change considering how she had been acting towards the royals recently. "Yes, we were just wondering where your children were? We were just wondering how their studies were going along?" Selltresse tried her best to compose herself after becoming a stuttering mess.

"We can assure you they are being well educated." Addafor chuckled and wrapped his arm around Laidra's waist, rubbing soothing circles on her side. "We have not seen them in a few days. However they have been under the guidance of a new tutor." He rubbed his beard with his free hand as he looked thoughtful about his children and their education. It wasn't entirely incorrect, he was sure the children were learning many things under the guidance of his brother. Whether they were useful things is a different story.

"Ah that is good news!" Vandkin said almost convincingly. " the children's education is our highest priority at the moment." He gave what was supposed to be a reassuring smile. "We were searching for the library when we came across you two. Though now I suppose we have no need to check up on them." He looked towards his wife, she seemed a little saddened , not knowing the reason for this he continued. "So who is this new tutor?"

"Ah it's an old friend of mine. You wouldn't know of him. We had met and parted ways by the time we were introduced." Laidra said with a roll of her eyes and a dismissive gesture though she still held a smile on her face. "He's very intelligent and extremely good with children. Raising them to become proper and mature adults." Or he'd be able to show them what not to do when ti coems to danger and common sense.

"Ah well in that case, as always your judgement is trusted and valued. Perhaps Vansilla would be able to learn some things." Selltresse tried to give Laidra some motivation, motivation to work. It was clear that the royals did not care for Landso or Acheron at all, Vansilla was their only priority. "Well we should be off, make sure the workers know we expect them to start picking up the pace. This place is filthy." Addafor and Laidra nodded but Selltresse and Vandkin had already turned around and started to walk away.

Laidra and Addafor sighed before sharing an annoyed look. The castle was as spotless as anything could possibly be. There was no dirt or dust anywhere to be found. The workers knew that if they put one toe out of line they would be fired, whether it be out of a cannon or simply out of the job, that depended on the royals' moods.