chapter 12

Chapter 12

Once they got to the place they didn't really know what to do or look for. They knew that they had to check on the riddle and on the symbols. There was no change that the human eye could see. However they could all feel the chill of something wrong, something dangerous.

Even The animals in the place had run off to hide, it was peculiar how the animals could be out of sight in such an enclosed and yet open space. It was like stepping into a whole new world of i's own. Except this world only lasted for about a mile. It wasn't very big , yet it held everything which was necessary.

"This place gets stranger each time we come." Devin had commented as she looked around. She was sure that things had changed. Though if she was asked what it was, she wouldn't be able to point things out. The place was just too overwhelming for her to make an entire list of things there. "But uh-what are we here to see again?"

The two cousin's were led over to where the riddles were. Devin's eyes widened, okay that was one thing which was new to the place that she hadn't seen before. "Oh this is starting to feel like a game...a very real game." Eden muttered as she looked at the list on the wall and the symbols and then back to the riddle.

"A game?" Acheron asked, it was true that he didn't play games often but he wasn't sure what kind of game would be anything like this. Games are supposed to be fun and make you happy or frustrated. This is a life or death situation. "What kind of game?" Eden was a little startled that she was being asked a question but before she could answer Addamak intervened.

"Ah a game...it does sound very much like Neireith." The comment confused soem people but they didn't have the time to ask about how the information came to Addamak. Instead their attention was still on Eden.

"like ...a video game?" She asked shyly, her shoulders nearly reaching her ears. "I'm not sure it's like...having a list of objections before you can move on.the character has to do certain things in order to unlock the next part. This is the list of things you have to do, it's just not straightforward. " she gestured to the list on the wall before rubbing the back of her neck.

"Yes. that makes sense." Kelso tried to be comforting and to move the attention away from Eden. "although it would have been much nicer if it was straightforward. We can work with it."she nodded, determined now to do all in ehr power to figure out these riddles.

"But what could it want us to do?" Sylvester had his hand on his chin as he looked over the words. "If it wants us or...you guys-" he nodded to the twins. "-to show bravery and things such as that then surely it would have activated. Unless it has to be in order, or...this is complicated." He knew that he was not about to give up but he was struggling a little bit.

"I'm sure we'll-" Tyrell was cut off by a rather loud scream. It shocked them all, because none of them had Noticed Devin going back to where the water was. Nobody had noticed her slipping away from the group. She had walked to where a waterfall began, but now she was hanging off the edge of it. The water missed her by centimeters as it splashed upwards, sometimes putting holes in her trouser fabric as she swayed slightly.

The group had no time to freeze in shock. Kelso ran forwards and started to climb a tree which was nearby as Tyrell tried to follow Devin's path and pull ehr back up.Devin was freaking out, she had a good right to considering the danger she was in, but that didn't help anyone when trying to communicate and help her up.

Devin was only holding onto the ground with one hand, she tried her best to get the other onto sturdy ground but she couldn't quite reach, she was scared to do any sudden movements in fear of losing the grip she already had. Laylian had came to help Tyrell and Sylvester went to help Kelso. Sylvester comforted and talked to the tree whilst Kelso was climbing it whilst Laylian tried to quickly make a rope to get Devin to hold onto with her free hand.

Eden was in shock however. It was ehr cousin, her best friend who was about to fall into some corroding liquid which would mean her immediate death. Eden felt useless, she couldn't do anything but watch as the others tried to help. That was until Tyrell looked at her. "Eden! Help!"

He did that because he knew Devin would listen to her. Eden would help Devin calm down. In fact it had happened by the simple mention of her cousin's name. Devin had stopped screaming and her breathing was less rushed. She was still too scared to look up , afraid she'd lose her grip once she saw where she was. All she could do was face the wall.

"Devin , grab the rope." Eden told her cousin gently, though worry and fear laced her voice. Devin seemed to be able to make out her voice amongst the chaos and the shouting as she managed to grab the rope with her free hand. "Okay so-"

"Kelso's gonna catch you." Tyrell reassured as he used the distraction to put Devin's other hand on the rope. It turned into something like a zipline or a rope swing. Kelso was ready to catch Devin on the other side of the waterfall, closer to safe land. "Trust us, just hold tight."

Devin's scream pierced through the air, she had to lift her legs up to her chest but she still ended up being caught by Kelso, who stood on a sturdy branch. Even the tree was helping them as it cleared a place for Kelso to stand. Devin was still freaking out by the time she made it to Kelso so Kelso wrapped ehr in a hug and started to reassure her that everything was alright. In normal circumstances Devin would have been extremely scared to get out of the tree. Nothing compared to the fear she just felt.

The group met up back at that tree. There were a lot of questions asked, such as what happened and if she was alright. Eden took Kelso's place by scooping her cousin into her arms. "Don't scare me like that again!" Eden cried into the hug. The fae felt somewhat useless as they couldn't' help much in the situation. The humans got pats on their back from Addamak, who was starting to see why the twins were extremely special.

"Look." Acheron said as he pointed towards the symbols. The reason being shocked everyone. It was confirmation for Eden's previous comment about it being like a video game. As the sword was lit up, creating yet another connection to the destruction of darkness.