Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

Rolling his shoulders Dean takes a moment to collect himself behind the wheel, staring dead towards Chuck's disarray home "What the hell you wanna do then El? Have a nice old chat with an Archangel and hope he does us a solid?"

"No that's Ludacris", I shove my passenger door open "But if we put the Lord's prettiest most protected treasure in the same room as his greatest threat..." Trailing off I let the door slam behind me and my gun heated in my waistband. Jogging up the pavement as Dean trails behind me, I motion towards the sky "Thy enemy of thy enemy is my friend."

"Have you even read The Art of War?"

"It's a military axiom to the ideal that laying force to your enemy is pointless and to instead be ready to receive them through unexpected attacks", tugging my gun out of my waistband under the shroud of Chuck's trees, I tilt my head back at Dean "Bobby had me read it."

Before I can smash through Chuck's door, Dean's hand wraps around my gun. With a hesitant glimmer, Dean warns me "We need him alive."

"I know", I assure him bluntly "But we also need Sam alive." Tugging my gun from Dean's grasp, I mutter "Even if he doesn't trust me to keep him that way." I don't get a chance at the door because Dean shoulders his way through. With the wary glance back at me I think he can see the frustration I still have simmering from my earlier argument. If anything gets you killed in this game it's the inability to think straight. Dean knows that as well as I.

Stepping back I let Dean storm into the house. Entering the living room I see Chuck looking up startled to see us in front of him. Curled up under a cotton blanket with a mug of whisky, Chuck lowers his glasses "What are you doing here? I didn't write this-"

"Get up", Dean yanks off Chuck's cotton blanket of protection he's tried hiding further under "We need you to come with us."

Stumbling up from the force Dean uses to yank Chuck off the sofa, I watch his glass overspill in his haste "What? Where?"

"To the motel where Sam is."

"That's where Lilith is."

"Good job sparky", I cynically clap in the living room archway "Cudos. Really." Dean sending me a look I roll my eyes. Yeah. Because him asking nicely is getting us anywhere.

When Dean tries tugging him back towards the door, Chuck yanks his arm from Dean's grasp "Are you insane! Lilith?!" Despite Dean's glowering, Chuck rambles "I know what she's capable of Dean. I wrote her-"

"Alright you listen to me", Dean reins it back, calmly explaining "You have an Archangel tethered to you- okay?" Quietly Chuck stumbles back as Dean presses forwards, "All you gotta do is show up and BOOM! Lilith gets smoked."

Blue eyes wide and panicked, Chuck anxiously stutters "I-I-I-I haven't- haven't seen that yet-"

"Chuck you're the only shot I've got left", Dean pleads with him, our team all out of other options.

"But... I'm just a writer."

"This isn't a story anymore man! This is real and you're in it!" Chuck stunned to silence, Dean presses on with the off chance he's getting through to the anxious little man "Now I need you to get off your ass and fight."

Stepping around Dean I watch him closely gnawing at his fingers. Dean's words swirling around in his head. Sharply spinning, he erratically shakes his head "No way. No friggin way."

Rolling my bottom lip I step down from the alcove I've patiently stood. It didn't work Dean's way? Sure. Now let's try it mine. Grabbing Chuck by his sofa-smelling hoodie he yelps when I yank it back and slam him against his peeling wall. "Okay, Chuck you know how this works. You have two options here", I threaten him lowly "Either you come with us or I redecorate this wall with red."