26. A better place.

~ Pov Louis ~ 

I look at Jason who's standing in the doorway. "It was fun. You should come over more. And bring Harry along. I want to meet him." I chuckle. "Believe me, you don't want that." We both crack up and before I realize it, he pulls me into a hug. His arms are tight around my body and his head rests gently on my shoulder. Doubtfully, I put my arms around him and let the moment happen for a few seconds.

With a small smile I withdraw and stare at the floor. "I'll see you." I turn around, jump over the small wall and run through the front yard, eventually reaching the door. I walk in with a sigh and I'm shocked when my father stands in front of me.

"Jesus! You scared me!" I laugh. "Where were you, Louis?" I bite my lip. Oh, here we go again. "I was with Jason, the new neighbor." He nods and to my surprise he leaves it for what it is. "Are you coming to the table? Dinner is ready." I nod and follow him to sit at the table.

My mother greets me with a kiss on the cheek and with a smile fills our plates while my father sits down in front of me. He takes the spoon from Mom but for some reason he lets it fall out of nowhere. "Troy. Watch what you do." He rolls his eyes and roughly pulls the spoon from my mother's hands. "Give it here." I bite my lip and look at my full plate, which I now suddenly feel much less like eating.

It's going to be fun again tonight... It always starts with a blunt comment, then they turn to ignoring each other and when I'm gone the silence becomes yelling.

My mother forces a smile and looks at me. "How was your day at school?" "Good. We're going to Amsterdam in a week." "Really? For how long?" "Three days." She nods as a sign that it seems nice to her and takes a few bites of her food while I let it get cold. "By the way, have you ever thought about what you want to do for your birthday?" "Mom, my birthday is in a week, so I'll be in Amsterdam." "Oh. Then we'll celebrate afterwards! Do you already have an idea what you would like as a present?" No fighting...

"It doesn't matter to me." "Otherwise we can invite Harry's family? You've gotten along very well lately, aren't you?" I shrug and ignore her question. "Can I leave the table?" She frowns for a moment. "But you haven't eaten anything yet?" "I'm not that hungry." My father looks at me. "Louis, finish your plate. Your mother prepared it for you. The least you can do is show some respect and eat it." "But-" "Eat !," my father yells around the house.

My mother looks at him in horror. "Troy! Please hold back!" My eyes widened at my father throwing his knife roughly into the plate. "Louis, go upstairs now. You can have something to eat later." I look at her with concern. "But-" "Go upstairs, Louis !," she says louder but it sounds more like begging.

I leave the room in silence and run to my room. With a sigh I let myself fall onto the bed. A few shivers run all over my body when I hear their screams echo in my ears. I pick up my phone when I hear shards falling to the floor. I type in a certain number and it takes a while for that person to answer.

"Hello?"

"Harry?"

"Louis!"

He's drunk...

"Did you drink?"

"Maybe..."

When he has consumed alcohol he can express himself in two ways; being aggressive or very cheerful. And in this case it's number two.

"Are you nearby?"

"Why? Do you want me to teach you?" He chuckles. I bite my trembling lower lip.

"N-No. I just wanted to be with you for a while, away from here."

In the background I hear thumping music, people singing and some kissing sounds that seem to be close up. I hear another voice on the other side of the line, a female.

"Harry... Hang up and come upstairs..." She sounds quite pushy. "Have fucking patience. I'm busy."

"Harry?"

"Yes?"

"Is there a girl with you?"

"Yes."

"Are you going to-"

"Fuck her? Yes. So if you have anything else to say, say it now."

"Uh... No. Never mind. I uh-"

He hangs up and I look at my cell phone unbelievably. I shake my head with a sigh. "Asshole."

While the first tear runs down my cheek, I press another number. It's answered almost immediately and I breathe with relief.

"Jason?" My voice sounds hopeless.

"Louis? Is everything okay? You sound kind of... Like you're not okay ..."

"I uh... I just want to get away for a bit..."

"Okay. Open your window."

I frown for a moment but still get up and walk over to my window, which I open softly. And when I look outside I only now see how close our houses are to each other. Jason's window is barely three feet from mine. I smile when he sits on his windowsill with the window open. I immediately hang up and lean out a bit.

"This is useful," I chuckle as I wipe that one tear away. Jason smiles. "Why are you crying, Louis?" I shake my head. "Doesn't matter. Just get me out of here." He gets up and reaches out to my body. "Give me your hand." I look at him, not understanding. "What are you up to?" He looks at me with a grin. "What do you think?"

My eyes widen and I shake my head violently. "No way! I'm not going to jump!" "Come on Louis! You don't even have to jump. You take a step and you're already there." I cross my arms. "Forget it. I'm not doing it." Jason withdraws his hand without any problem. "Okay. Then you just stay there." He's about to close his window but I stop him. "Wait!"

He looks at me with a grin. "Changed your mind?" I roll my eyes. "Just give me your arm." He sticks out his arm with a smile. I intertwine our fingers and smile at the gesture. My hand holds his tight when I stand straight on the window ledge. I want to look down but Jason stops me. "Don't look down. Look at me."

I look straight into his eyes and subtly bite my lip. "Now carefully put one foot on my window edge." I do what he says and feel the adrenaline rush through my body. "Okay. And now if you put your second foot in, make sure you crouch down so you can jump right in." I raise my eyebrows with a grin. "I thought I didn't need to jump?" He rolls his eyes. "Just do it."

I carefully follow his steps one by one and when my two feet are on his window ledge and I'm crouched down, I lose my balance and fall straight in. With a bang, Jason lands on the floor and my body on his.

"Ouch," he moans. I look at him, my face close to his. "Are you okay?" He nods with a smile and opens his eyes. "Are you in a better place?" I smile and nod as I lie down. "Much better."

----------------------------------------

I want to have a neighbor like Jason :)