T W E N T Y S E V E N

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN,
Midnight Memories.

A LOUD GASP LEFT LAKENS MOUTH THE SECOND SHE TOOK HER HEAD OUT OF THE PENSIVE

A LOUD GASP LEFT LAKENS MOUTH THE SECOND SHE TOOK HER HEAD OUT OF THE PENSIVE. Her whole world was being flipped upside down and there is nothing she can do about it.

Fleamont smiled sadly at his younger sister, he knew exactly what she was going through.

After a moment of letting her collect her thoughts he spoke up again. "Before she passed she gave me a box, I had originally thought that it was money or something of importance to her. But when I opened it there was just a bunch of letters, all addressed to you."

Laken tilted her head slightly in confusion, her mother wrote her letters? Why did she never send them?

"To me?" She asked, wanting to make sure she heard him correctly.

Fleamont walked over to his bag, reaching in only to pull out a decorative gold box before he returned to her side. "To you."

He handed her the box and Laken hesitated for a moment before opening it, her eyes starting to water at all of the letter titles.

Open When You Meet Fleamont.

Open at Your First Ball.

Open When You Need Advice.

Open When You Meet The One.

Open On Your Wedding Day.

Open On Your Birthday.

Open When You Have Your First Baby.

Open When Your Father Returns.

Those were only some of the many letters, all of the titles set for certain dates or situations.

"She did this for me?" Laken asked as she glanced up at her brother with tears in her eyes. Fleamont smiled and gave her a small nod before picking up the letter titled Open When You Meet Fleamont. "Open it. I'll give you some privacy. Come find me when you finish."

Then he left before she could even comprehend his words.

Laken looked down at the letter in her hand, the only form of communication she could ever have with her mother.

"You got this." She whispered to herself, reaching up to wipe her tears before walking over to the couch and ripping the letter open.

Dear Laken,

Oh honey, you will never understand how much I hate myself for not being apart of your life. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I wish things could have been different, that we could've all been a happy family. But wishes don't always come true.

I know everything you've ever known is changing, that you are starting to question if you even know yourself at all. But I promise you that soon it will all be okay, don't rush it. In time everything will fall into place. Maybe it's this new information, maybe your father, maybe even a boy that's making you question what your doing with your life. But it will all be okay. Just give it time to work itself out.