Misunderstandings ~ Kol Mikaelson

Creds to kmikaelsonimagines on Tumblr
Warnings: none
Word count: 895

The first thing he heard was her voice. It was just as how he remembered it, lilting when he introduced himself to her, beautiful as his name rolled off her tongue. Of course, that all changed when he had his hand wrapped around her throat, when her words transformed into pleading screams, when he decided that he hated it, hated the lies that sprung from her lips.

It was her fault that she was in the ancestral world, that she was enduring this Hell. She never should have betrayed him.

He stood watching her for a while, leaning against a tree, eyes narrowed as he looked at her with distaste, trying desperately to ignore the feelings of pain that spread through his soul. He had loved her once, and as much as he would never admit it, he still did.

He watched as she muttered to herself, reiterating the story she was reading as he remembered her doing all those years ago. It was what she would do in her quiet time, escaping the world that being a New Orleans witch came with, that dating Kol Mikaelson came with.

"Well, I would say it's nice to see you haven't changed over the past century, but that would be lying," a perverse sense of pleasure at seeing her frightened eyes, at watching her take steps away from him as he stalked towards her with a swagger in his step, was overshadowed by that familiar feeling of heartache of looking at Y/N, at the witch he had pledged to share his life with.

"Kol, you're-you're here."

"Ah, so you do remember who I am. I would have thought I'd be long forgotten. Replaced by- what was his name again?"

Y/N's eyes turned from petrified to pure anger, from astonishment to hatred. The wildest of the Mikaelson brothers took that as an opportunity to have a little more fun, pushing the feelings of love that had started to rekindle aside.

"Now, don't tell me that the great Y/N Y/L/N has finally started to regret her actions," he placed his hand against his chest in mock sympathy, "Is she actually ready to apologise to the man she betrayed? I suppose him killing you does that to a person."

"There's nothing to apologise for. I did nothing wrong."

Kol snapped at the familiarity of the words, of the memories they brought back, of the fight before he had lost all sense of control, letting his predatory nature do the work for him.

"Stop lying."

"I'm not."

In an instant, his face was inches from hers. He noticed that she didn't flinch this time, all previous fear gone as she realised that they were already dead; there was nothing they could do to each other to make the situation worse. Kol hadn't realised just how much the events of the early 1900s had left a mark on him, how much he still resented her for breaking his heart.

How much he still loved her.

"Do you honestly expect me to believe that it was all just some misunderstanding? Or do you really think that I'm that stupid?"

"Probably the latter. You're supposedly invincible, so tell me Kol Mikaelson, why are you here?"

"That's not important. What's important is," he turned away from her, hand running through his hair in exasperation, "You told me you loved me. And yet, you were with him. You chose him and not me."

It was a memory that had become a nightmare. He still saw him brush Y/N's hair behind her ear, still saw her smile and laugh at whatever he'd been saying. He still heard Rebekah's words in his ears, the ones that told him they were together. He still watched on as he saw her leave the bedroom, with him following soon after.

He still felt the pain, the heartache, the feeling of not knowing what to do without her.

And now, looking at her, being with her once again, it was like being back in that time, back in that black hole of doubt and desperation.

"I didn't choose him. I never would have chosen anyone except you. You want to know the worst part of this Kol Mikaelson?," it was at this point, as she said his full name, he realised that he hated the venom in her words, the hatred that she spewed at him as if he were her worst enemy, "You didn't even give me a chance to explain what you saw. You didn't think twice about ending my life, the life that I had promised to share with you."

"Y/N-"

"Just don't, don't even try. All you'll come out with is some insult, some smug remark that lets you come out on top," she turned from him, ready to leave him in the loneliness of the afterlife.

"Come and find me when you're ready to admit you were in the wrong. Come and find me when you've realised that killing me was a mistake. Come and find me when you're ready to listen. Come and find me when you're the Kol Mikaelson I first fell in love with."

And like that, Y/N Y/L/N was gone, leaving Kol Mikaelson with a heavy heart and a lot to think about.