Rings ~ E. Mikaelson

Creds to misunderstood-shadows on Tumblr
Warnings: just a bit of swearing , and violence
Word count: 310
Summary: Called back to help with a certain werewolf, you run into Elijah. It's obvious how he looks at Hayley, and she at him, and it breaks your heart completely.

 It's obvious how he looks at Hayley, and she at him, and it breaks your heart completely

New Orleans was buzzing. People laughed and cheered, drinking and dancing in the streets. I strolled amongst the crowd, revelling in the smell of life, and the feel of the magic that lingered around us.

I felt him before I saw him; something overing behind me, tailing me silently. My lip twitched, and I turned, striding down an alleyway. I felt him follow, gaining ground steadily. The other side of the alley came out on Bourbon Street, where the air reeked of alcohol and sung of jazz.

A hand grabbed mine, twirling me around.

Elijah didn't let go, even when I tugged at his grip on my wrist.

"What are you doing here?" he asked quietly.

I grinned up at him, tilting my head. "Hello, Elijah. What a surprise running into you."

He snarled softly and my smile widened. "Do not play trivial games with me."

"I'm here because Niklaus asked me. I hear you have an issue with-," I paused, humming.  "Shall we say an old protégé? I've been told there's something... someone else, who might need protecting. You know I am always up for a good fight, Elijah."

Someone ran into me, forcing me to take a step back from Elijah, my wrist still in his hand. I felt his grip change, his fingers softly mingling with mine. The movement was soft, an involuntary memory brought forward by our proximity.

His finger brushed the ring on my left hand, and the movements stopped, and he pulled away.

"You shouldn't have come."

"With that attitude, Elijah, it's going to be a long visit." I pulled my hand from his and turned my back on his. "I'll see you at home!" I called over my shoulder, melting into the crowd.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"Niklaus!" Elijah barked. "Where are you?"

Klaus appeared at the top of the stairs, book in hand. "Yes, brother?" he asked, smirking.

"You need to stop with the silly game you play. A thousand years of torturing me is enough."

Klaus's smile widened. "I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, dear Elijah. Please, enlighten me as to my latest crime."

"Why did you invite Y/N here? We do not need her help, nor do I want her presence here."

"This is a family situation, is it not? And Y/N is family? Or did you forget that when you included her in 'always and forever'?"

"That was a thousand years ago, Niklaus. Much has changed since then. I do not want her here, and as you were the one who invited her, you shall be the one to tell her to leave."