My Mate

Zane's POV

I am lying under a rogue and I can't throw him off. Everyone has been pinned down, but the enemy isn't killing us yet. I have no clue where Brae is, I can see her from where I am, but I just hope she is okay. I should have told her that she was my mate all those years ago or at least before this war, but I chickened out. That's why I never made eye contact with her. I was her second chance so the other mate signs won't show up until we make eye contact.

Someone walks out of the bushes and I look to see Brae. Her right hand is covered in blood all the way up to her wrist and her shirt had blood on it as well. I hope she is okay and isn't hurt. I know it irrational to think she is hurt due to her power, but I will still worry.

Her eyes scan the scene in front of her before they land on me. I plead with my eyes for her to turn around and run, but she won't listen.

"Hey!" She yells, trying to get their attention.

Everyone looks towards her and a vampire who has Chris pinned speaks up, "Where is Albert and Cassius?"

I can feel my heart beat faster in my chest, I haven't seen them during this whole war. I really hope someone else found them and killed them because they are too evil to roam this earth. Albert kept hurting my mate in every way possible and it was so hard to keep Blade, my wolf, from tearing him apart.

"Dead," Brae shrugs.

Good for her. I knew she could get rid of them and I am glad she has that closure now. I know they couldn't really physically hurt her too much, but mentally, they did a number on her.

"As third to the Sundusk coven, I command you to kill the members of this wretched pack."

Everyone is lining up a shot to kill whomever they have pinned down. I keep my eyes on Brae as I know what is going to happen next. The rogue's claws come down towards my neck as I see Brae's eye glow orange. She is going to use her powers to save us, but that will kill herself in the process. I try harder to throw the rogue off me, but to no prevail.

"Brae! Stop! Don't do this!" I tell as loud as I can and then I hear Brae scream as all of the enemies burn to ash.

Brae smiles triumphantly before swaying and falling to the ground. I can see her straining to keep her eyes open. I run over to her and grab her hand.

"Please don't go, fight to stay with me please," I plead while looking into her eyes.

Her eyes widen for a moment at the realization that I am her mate. I feel the sparks between our hands as I see her eyes close.

"I love you," I tell her as tears fall down my cheeks.

I listen to her heartbeat slow down, almost to a stop. I pick her up from the ground and rush her inside the pack house to the pack doctor. I open the door to the safe room and tell the doctor to come with me.

The doc follows me to the medical wings and I place Brae down on a hospital bed. The doctor starts running some tests to see what's happening and then she hooks up a heart monitor. Her heart rate is four, but it isn't dropping any lower. I hope that's enough to keep her alive while she heals, I can't have her die on me.

You can't let her die Zane, I never got to kiss her or hold her, Blade tells me.

I know Blade, I don't want her to go either, but we will just have to hope for the best. Pray the Moon Goddess won't take her from us.

Blade just whines and stays silent otherwise. I turn my attention back to Brae and squeeze her hand tightly. I can still feel they sparks so she is still here with me. I can see her eyes fluttering open and they are glowing green for a moment.

"Zane?" She says groggily.

"You're awake!" I almost jump out of my seat.

"Not exactly. I'm Noctis and I just wanted to say goodbye. It doesn't seem like this is going to turn out well for us. Brae and I are trying to hang on but she is getting weaker by the second. She wants to apologize for having to leave you like she..." Noctis sighs, "like she has left everyone. She loves you and I do too."

"I love you too, both of you. Please don't go," I plead with tears in my eyes.

"It's not up to me or Brae," Noctis closes her eyes for a moment out of tiredness before opening them again, "It's time, I'm so sorry Zane, we both are."

"No, don't go! I need you!" I cry out.

The beeping on the monitor has turned into a consistent tone. The sparks between our hands as slowly disappearing and her breathing has stopped. She's gone.

I start crying hysterically with my head on her belly. I hear the door open, but I can't bring myself to life my head.

"No. She can't be gone. Maybe she will come back again," I hear Riggs say with hope.

"No son, she has finished her duty on this earth and died doing it. She won't be back."

"But...she was just here. She has gotten so many chances. She can't be gone," Hadley cries.

"I'm sorry Zane, I know you two were good friends," Chris tells me with a hand on my shoulders.

"Mates," is all I manage to say as a son leaves my mouth.

"What?" Chris asks.

"We were mates, but I didn't tell her because I wanted to protect her. I figured if she didn't know, she wouldn't do something stupid."

"I'm sorry, I know how you feel Zane," Riggs says. He just saw his first mate die for the third time now the poor bastard.

Jack walks over to the other side of Brae's bed and puts a hand on her shoulder, "You did good kid. You did it! You saved us all and I will forever be grateful for what you did. You rest now."

"Thank you for taking me in Brae, I don't know where I would be right now without you," Chris tells her.

"You have been a great friend and a badass person. I am glad I met you," Grey says with a small smile.

"In a way I wish we could have been mates, but because of you I have two beautiful children and a beautiful second chance. I will always love you and I hope you find peace," Riggs says with tears in his eyes.

"I am so lucky you took me into your pack when I had nothing and I was on the verge of dying. Without you, I never would have found my mate and had Luke and Braelynn. I hope you are at peace," Hadley hopes.

"I hope you are in that beautiful field with the colourful flowers that you loved so much. I hope you have a peaceful afterlife there. I will see you again soon."