I Had A Chance

Riggs' POV

I try to keep up with Brae but she runs so fast in her human form, it's nuts. I continue to run around the packs territory.

I can't believe I have a second chance mate and I ruined it before I even met her. The Moon Goddess gave me Brae, but it was too late. I already marked Amelia, so I cannot mark another.

She looks so much like Braelynn did. She has very similar green eyes as Braelynn and facial features. Brae is much stronger though and she has midnight black hair instead of a dirty blonde.

I decide to take a detour to the cemetery to say hi to Braelynn and how sorry I am that I couldn't save her. As I reach the cemetery, I smell Brae already there. I wonder what she is doing here, it is sacred territory that no one except the Alpha family should enter unless there is a funeral.

I follow her scent and watch her walk between tombstones, reading the names. She then stops at one headstone I know all too well. Braelynn's.

She reads it and just stares at it, maybe she recognizes the name. I walk over to her.

"What are you doing here?"

She jumps and spins around to face me, "Sorry, I was just curious. I will leave."

"It's okay, you don't have to leave."

She nods slowly and turns back to the tombstone.

"Who was she?" She asks, "She died pretty young."

"She was my mate."

Brae looks at me with curiosity, "What happened?"

I hesitate, but decide to answer her question, "I found her laying badly beaten on the forest floor two years ago. I took her to the nearest pack which was the Moon Pack."

I see her face turn to disgust at the mention of that pack. She must've had a bad run in with them at some point.

"They refused to help her and then rejected her from their pack. By the time I got her pack to my pack doctor, she was too far gone."

A tear runs down my cheek and I feel a hand reach up and wipe it away. I look at Brae, wishing I could feel the sparks from her touch, but I can't because I am mates to someone else.

She doesn't seem to acknowledge me as her mate though which is odd.

"I'm sorry," I apologize.

Her eyebrows furrow, "What for?"

"For not waiting."

She seems to understand what I am saying and she shrugs, "Doesn't matter now. I am content with my life how it is and I am glad it doesn't have to change."

Her voice has sincerity in it as she speaks. I am so relieved that she isn't mad. It does make me wonder why she isn't made. Is there someone else in the picture.

A low growl escapes my throat and she turns around to face me. I expect to see fear or anger in her eyes, but instead I see recognition and then guilt.

"Hey, are you okay?" I ask her.

A tear manages to slip from her eye, but she quickly wiped it away and started to leave.

"Where are you going?" I shout after her.

"To my room, I am tired."

I follow her to make sure she gets back alright even though I am pretty sure that after what I saw today, she can take care of herself.

I walk up the stairs just behind her since my room is also on the fourth floor. I see her enter the bedroom next to hers. The one where her Alpha resides. I know it's wrong, but I walk over to the door and listen in.

I hear her soft voice trying to wake up Ace. She must either be really close with him or they are dating. I feel anger rise in me at Peter gets mad at the thought of her and Ace together.

I leave before I barge in there and head to my bedroom where Amelia sits on the bed. Her eyes snap to me and they narrow. What have I gotten myself into.

"Where the hell have you been? You were supposed to be in the gym and when I went to check on you, you weren't there and that girl's scent was all over the place."

"She came down to train and use the gym, what's the problem with that?"

"Where did you go after the gym?"

"I went for a run, geez."

"I can tell you aren't telling me everything. Did you go see that grave again."

"Don't talk to me like that! She was my mate!"

"Well, she isn't your mate now, is she? Forget about her and focus on me and the pack!"

I storm out of the room, slamming the door and head to my office. I set up a bed on the small couch there. My legs hang off the end of it, but it will do for now.

Brae's POV

I walk into Ace's bedroom and lightly shake him, trying to wake him up. He stirs after a few seconds and looks up at my tear stained cheeks. His eyes widen.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Ace starts spit firing questions.

"I am fine, I guess. Can we talk please, I need to talk."

"Of course."

I take a deep breath and spill my heart out, "I went for a run and came across the Royal Cemetery. I was curious so I went in and I was drawn to this one part of the cemetery. When I got there, there was a tombstone with..." I choke back a sob.

"It's alright, go at your own pace," Ace encourages.

I nod, "It said Braelynn Spark 18. The date was the day I died Ace. They buried me in the Royal Cemetery."

Ace's face scrunches with confusion, "No offended, but why would they do that."

"Riggs. He found me when I was on the verge of dying that day. He said that I was his mate and he brought me to my old pack. Ethan exiled me from the pack and then I died shortly after."

"It wasn't your fault, Brae. You had no way to know that your mate found you."

"That's what I thought, but then something happened. Riggs growled lowly and...and I heard that same growl that night before I let myself be taken by the dark. I heard him there and I just gave up. I could have been happy with my mate, but instead I am going to watch him make Amelia his Luna and Queen."

"I'm so sorry Brae. You can't blame yourself though and hey if you didn't go through what you went through, you would have never had a wolf and we would have never met. All of your pack members would still be rogues or they would be dead by now. People would still be suffering without us training packs and taking out corrupted wolves."

"You are right. It all worked out for the better. Maybe I will have a second chance mate."

"I hope you will find him."

"Can I stay here tonight?"

"Of course."

I crawl under the blanket and Ace wraps an arm around my waist. I fall into a peaceful sleep.