Today Is the Day

Brae's POV

It has been just over two weeks since my birthday party. We have been a adding extra training for the pack and I have been practicing  my fire power in secret. I decided to keep it a secret from everyone except Zane since he already knows. I don't want to use these powers unless needed, they take a lot of energy out of me and that is why I am keeping them secret. I don't want everyone to believe that I can save them because I still can't use too much without getting dizzy.

I went to interrogate Wyatt a few times, but he won't give up any information. I don't want to have to kill him, but he is a threat to the entire werewolf race at this point. The Moon Goddess brought him back for a reason and I want to find out why.

I woke up this morning with a bad feeling. I know what this means. I am making my way to the kitchen where everyone is to tell them the bad news.

I walk into see Chris making some joke and Zane shakes his head with a smile on his lips. Grey is talking with Riggs and Jack while they are all grinning like idiots. I see Hadley with her two beautiful children eating breakfast and laughing. They all look so content and here I am, about to crush that happiness.

"Hey Brae," Chris smiles and I attempt a small smile, but it looks fake.

"What's wrong?" Zane asks, worry in his voice.

"It's time. The war is coming today," I tell and I see all their previous smiles drop into ones of sadness. We all know we will lose people we have grown to love and care for.

Jack excuses himself to go notify the pack. We get the safe room ready for the unable to fight and some mothers. I help put some water, food, and first aid supplies. The pack is all gathered in the backyard to talk strategy, including those who won't be fighting.

"We have reason to believe we will be at war today. We are unsure of the time it will commence at; however, we need to speak of our battle plan. Brae?"

Jack decided to let me help with explaining the strategy since I came up with most of the ideas. I walk up to stand beside Jack in front of the pack.

"We are going to have most of the warriors here to protect the safe room. We are also going to have warriors in the trees waiting and watching. This will let us trap the vamps when they arrive here at the training field."

I get nods from many pack members that agree with my plan and the attention goes back to Jack, "You have all gotten a number before this meeting started. Number 1s are staying here to protect the pack. Number 2s will be in the trees and finally number 3s will be in the safe room. These positions are not up for discussion."

The pack nods and starts to split up to their assigned positions. I head inside to talk with Zane privately. I meet him in my bedroom and I sit on the bed with him sitting next to me. I take a deep breath.

"What's wrong, Brae? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just..." I look down at my hands, "I want to tell you that I am so happy I met you. I want to thank you for everything you have done for me."

"You know that I am so glad I met you as well. Why are you telling me all this now?"

I feel a couple tears run down my cheeks. I don't know why I feel like this is so hard to tell him. I feel guilty because of my knowledge. The knowledge the Moon Goddess gave me two nights ago.

"I don't know if I am going to make it out of this war Zane."

"What do you mean? I don't think they can kill you Brae, they tried for over two years."

"I found out how I can die."

Look of shock covers Zane face, "How?"

"What? Are you trying to kill me now?" I joke, trying to lighten the mood.

"Brae, I want to know how," Zane insists.

"If I use my powers and drain all of my energy, I can die."

"Well then, easy to avoid. You just won't use your pyrokinesis. We can win this war without it."

His words should encourage me, but it just makes me even more sad when I remember the rest of Pera's message.

Brae, her angelic voice called out to me.

I open my eyes to see the beautiful clearing with the colourful flowers. I look to see Pera in front of me and all I can feel is anger.

"Calm down, I know you are upset with me, but I have something important to tell you."

"What now?" I groan.

"I am here to warn you. The war is coming soon, you will know it when it has arrived. You have been a doing good work while training your powers, but they do come at a price."

"A price?"

"Yes, I know you have felt the energy draining when using your power. If you use too much, you will die. That is your only way to die and end up back here."

I look down. Ever since I came back I have just wanted the vamps to find a way to kill me, so this should make me happy to hear. However, all I can think about is Zane and how much it would hurt him if I left. To be honest, I don't want to leave him either.

"Do I have to die?" I ask Pera and she looks shocked as well as proud.

"That is up to you. The war is going to get messy; however, there is a good chance the wolves will come out on top. This will happen at a price though and you will have to chose between your life and another's."

"Who's?"

"I cannot tell you. You have an important choice to make so I hope the best for you. Goodbye Brae."

My surroundings go black as I yell out for Pera. I want to know what is going to happen so I can be prepared and make my decision.

"Your right, there is nothing to worry about," I reassure Zane. I can't tell him the rest of the story, it would break him.

"Come here," Zane outstretches his are and I give him a hug. We just sit there in each other's arms while waiting for the dreadful moment to begin.

With that thought, the alarm bell sounds signalling the war has begun.