59.

"Willow, I need you up front. There's another customer waiting to be checked out." Susan's voice comes from behind me. I quickly turn around to face her as I place the last bottle of water in the miniature fridge.

"Oh, sorry, I'm on it." I tell her.

She gives me a smile as I turn around to walk to the front of the store. I make my way behind the cash register as my expression turns from relaxed to serious.  Matt stands in front of me with a bottle of sparkling water in his hands. He gives me a kind expression as my chest begins to rise and falls at a uneven pace.

"Matt— I hadn't expected to see you here." I try to keep my tone cordial but I can't help but feel weirded out.

This store sells mostly tourist items and vintage books, sure we do happen to have a mini fridge with the usual soft drinks and bottles of water. But couldn't he have gone to the grocery store for something like that? I watch carefully as Matt gives me a vibrant smile before setting the bottle down on the counter.

"How are you today?" He asks happily, it's as if we never broke up. I scan the bottle and begin the register but Matt hands me his card.

"I— I'm fine, thanks." I stammer. I'm trying to keep this conversation light. He grins at me as he swipes his card, why does he look like he just won the lottery?

"Well, I've been meaning to ask you if you'd like to go out with me to dinner tonight. It's not a date, but I'd like you to accompany me— Business related." He responds as he puts his card back in his wallet.

I take this opportunity to place the bottle in a plastic bag before hanging it over the counter to Matt. His eyes flicker toward our hands as they brush gently, this is weird.

"Thank you for the invite, but I'm going to have to decline." I try to sound soft but I feel so off put. Matt blinks before his smiles again.

"What? Why?" Please just go." He persists as our eyes lock.

"We're broken up, Matt. I don't think it's a good idea to go out to dinner with you at all." I respond as Matt's smile fades.

He looks at me with sympathy in his eyes before leaning closer to me. That's when I notice his dilated pupils, he is high?!

"Is this about your ex that just passed away? Because I really don't think it's healthy to push people away who care about you." He frowns.

My lips slightly part at his words, once again, what on Earth is he talking about? Paul isn't dead and he has no reason to believe that.

"I really don't know why you think my— Why Paul is dead." I whisper.

I'm trying to keep my voice quiet so Susan doesn't hear me, luckily there aren't any customers aside from Matt in the store right now and I get off in thirty minutes. He sighs and shakes his head.

"Denial is the first stage." He trails off as if thinking about something.

"Look, I'm here for you. But you have to stop pushing me away." He responds calmly

Now this is just becoming irritating and creepy, Matt isn't dead so why in the world would he think such a thing? I need to end this once and for all. I look Matt in the eyes and try to seem brave.

"Paul isn't dead. I don't know where you got that from, but he's not dead. I was with him just yesterday, he's fine." I tell him.

After I finish my sentence Matt stares at me blankly for a moment, he blinks as his expression remains emotionless. He then goes pale for a moment before he snatches the bag from the counter. I notice Susan looking at us from a isle over as she organizes some books, I glance at her with pleading eyes.