30

Days after the opening of our resort, I had to leave for Italy. Mama wanted to have a family meeting and I had to be there. Unfortunately, it was just a waste of time.

"Voltaire! I missed you, mio figlio!" my mother welcomed me with a hug yet my eyes remained on the Genova clan behind her. They were eagerly gazing at me, looking excited about something.

"We're here to plan about your wedding, I'm so exci—"

"My what?" nilibot ko ang tingin at mukhang ako lang walang kaide-ideya sa mga nangyayari.

Emmanuella rushed to my side and linked her arm to mine's. "Our wedding, Voltaire."

Her voice was soft and relaxed yet it irritated me. Binawi ko ang kamay at lumayo sa kaniya. Shock and disappointment crossed her face, tears gleaming at the corners of her eyes. The Genova matriarch hurried to her side and consoled her.

My mother gave me a disapproving look. She was about to say something but I spoke first. I was enraged by what they did— engaging me to someone I don't even like. I don't think I'd be able to keep a rational mind and hear them out. Whatever it is that she has to say will never be a good reason to justify her actions.

"Did you plan this?" My chest thumped in anger and I could burst any moment from now.

"This has been the plan ever since, Voltaire. You know that."

I shook my head and eyed everyone darkly. I left our palazzo and headed to a good friend's chateau. Kung nanatili ako roon, sigurado akong mag-aaway lang kami. Kahit ano pa ang gagawin nila, hinding-hindi ako magpapatali, lalo na sa babaeng iyon!

What she did to Sugar is unforgivable!

"What brought you here?" napatingin ako sa nagsalita at kinuha ang beer na hawak. "I can help you with anything as long as it's not about a woman."

"Mama wants me to marry this Genova heiress," I sighed and swigged the beer.

"Can't help you with that either," he added. "But I have beers." Proud niyang sabi as if masosolusyunan ng inumin ang problema.

"I need your ears, Italy. Just listen to me and give me some advice."

Tumango ito kaya sinimulan ko ang pagkwento. Italy's a good friend and he's good at giving advice. I shared to him about my relationship with Sugar and how I wanted to tell her the truth but I couldn't find my courage.

"Well, you already have a plan. Just do it," he shrugged, finishing his beer.

"Do you think it'll work?" I asked, unsure and worried that what I'm planning to do will make things worse.

"You'll never know the outcome if you won't do it," aniya. "But I suggest you do it as soon as possible."

And just like what he advised, I continued my plan; and that is to go back to the States on Sugar's birthday and surprise her. I planned on telling her the truth on that same day but everything fell apart.

Nalaman nila mama ang plano ko at sinabotahe nila iyon. I should've followed Iouis' and Italy's advice to do this whole "telling the truth" plan earlier. I thought I had a lot of time, not even considering what I've been told that a lot could happen in a short span of time.

"Kuya!" I flinched when Jarven snapped his fingers in front of my face, his eyes squinting as if reading my thoughts.

"I was just wondering how mama found out that I was planning to surprise Sugar on her birthday," I reasoned.

"I think it's Valtrisse," he sighed. "You know how nosy she is."

"By the way, speaking of Valtrisse, she just texted me that mama's in the hospital," he added, shrugging nonchalantly. "If you ask me, this might be one of their ploys to lure you back to Italy."