5

Warning: This chapter might contain some sensitive topic. Read at your own risk.

"Perri!" tawag ko sa kaibigan.

Lakad-takbo ang ginawa niya papunta sa akin. Perri was my friend since kindergarten and she's like my sister already. We trust each other with our secrets and the both of us are inseparable.

"I have some good news!" magiliw kong bati sa kaniya. "I was chosen to be the next editor-in-chief! Ang saya-saya ko!"

Kanina lang ako sinabihan na ako raw ang magiging EIC ng school paper next school year. I jumped up and down because of the good news but eventually stopped when I noticed my friend's unenthusiasm.

"Are you okay? Did something bad happen?" tanong ko sa kaibigan pero bigla na lang siyang umiyak at tumakbo paalis.

Hinabol ko siya ngunit may biglang humarang. Tinulak ko ang lalaking kaibigan ngunit hinawakan niya ako sa palapulsuhan at hinila papalapit sa kaniya.

"Huwag ngayon, Tray!"

"Huwag kang tumakbo, baka madapa ka," aniya.

Trayvon, or Tray, is the only guy friend I have. We were classmate since elementary and just last week, he confessed and is now courting me.

"Hanapin ko muna si Perri. Baka anong mangyari sa kaniya," pagpapaliwanag ko.

Sabay naming hinanap si Perri at natagpuan siya namin sa garden kasama ni Emma, ang isa ko pang kaibigan mula noon.

Umupo ako sa tabi ni Perri at inalo siya. Hindi ko alam kung anong nangyari kung bakit bigla na lang siyang umiyak at umalis.

Did something bad happen to her and I was inconsiderate to tell her my good news and it upset her?

"I thought I'll be the editor-in-chief!" singhal ni Perri. "Sav clearly gave the position to you because he likes you!"

Savvy, the current editor-in-chief is one of seniors. Maraming chismis akong narinig na gusto niya raw ako pero hindi ko na ininda ang mga iyon. Pero ngayon na ang kaibigan ko na mismo ang nagsabi, baka totoo nga. O baka nadadala lang siya sa galit.

Hindi ko alam na gusto niya ring maging EIC, kung alam ko lang sana, edi hindi ko tinanggap. I actually thought that I was chosen to be the next EIC because of my abilities, but now that I heard Perri's words, I feel like I don't deserve it. Maybe the rumors are true. Sav likes me and that's the reason why he gave me the position, not because I'm a good journalist.

"You don't deserve it, Shaunelle!" ani Perri na umiiyak pa rin.

Hearing those words from her stings. I know that she feels bad but I just thought she'd be less harsh on me.

I always wanted to be the editor-in-chief. Having that position might make my mom proud of me, but I also don't want to lose my friend.

I heaved a deep sigh and faced Perri.

"Don't worry, I'll go talk to him," I assured.

That day, I talked to Sav and told him that I'm not accepting the EIC offer anymore. And also, later that day, my mom scolded me for not accepting the position. Apparently, my mom found out what I did. Ang tanga-tanga ko raw dahil tinanggihan ko ang ganoong opurtunidad.

The following day, Perri was in a good mood already. She offered to treat us to an after-school snacks. I was regretting a bit that I let go of the opportunity, but seeing Perri's joyful face made it worth it.

She deserves it, anyway. I thought.

"Shaunelle, mauna na raw tayo sa café," ani Tray at hinila ako palabas ng classroom.